Sunday, April 5, 2009

German Black Forest Cake





German Black Forest Cake from Chef Alex Goh's recipe. Imo his book about chocolate has some printing error. The recipe made the mistake of grouping the cherries as part of ingredients D which they mentioned to fold into the cake batter. I doubt so, so i didn't follow exactly. Next the 150g of whipped cream to cover the entire 9-inch (23cm) cake is insufficient! Should be at least a cup of whipped cream. I ran out of whipped cream then had to whip more cream to top the entire cake. So my estimate should be about 1-1/2 cup of whipped cream. And i didn't have any balance left either after piping out the rosettes.

The cake has no butter - ie an absolutely plain sponge cake but cos of the brushing of the syrup onto the cake makes the cake moist. I dunno if i over-brushed the syrup or what (my imagination), but i find my cake is a bit too wet and sweet. But then again, it maybe ok cos whatever is sweet to me, is considered just right for majority (me-minority who doesn't take too sweet things other than chocolate).

Our weather here is absolutely no good for whipped cream or chocolate decoration! I had to work the cake and chocolate in the freezer compartment of my fridge..yup..literally with the freezer drawer open and my cake and chocolate in there! 5 mins out of the fridge, the whipped cream and chocolate starts to melt!!! Argghhh! See..this is another reason why i need aircon in my kitchen!!

And another note..after tasting it a few times and trying to find out what's wrong with this cake, i realised that this cake doesn't taste like the usual black forest cake..it taste more like chocolate cake with cherries in it!!! :( So it is good as a chocolate cake BUT no good as a blackforest cake imo....

0 comments:

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template