Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Fleur de Sel de Guerande

I just have to 'dairy' this french sea salt, cos it is sooooo difficult to find here! I know that at Tanglin Mall, there's a shop that sells the flavored ones..but i don't want flavored ones, i just want the original version. I've been hunting for ages and in Melbourne when i was there but nowhere to be found. So, no choice, i seek the help of my colleague who's job is to know where to get all these stuff (i should have asked her earlier instead of going round the world!!!) and she got them for me..hurray!...

Here it is...the ever elusive sea-salt...



Also i didn't realise i've got the best Fleur de Sel which is the 'Fleur de Sel de Guerande'...until i was searching if there is even an expiry on sea salt, that i found David Lebovitz's post here (yes yes yes....him again..oh..and i am going to the bookshop later to get 2 of his books which they reserved for me..hahahaha..) about Fleur de Sel. Now i know that Fleur de Sel de Guerande is harvested by hand and Fleur de Sel Camargue is harvested by machine. See the difference? That's why the steep price of the salt! Very expensive for salt....plus in this sort of plastic bag...i thought would come in at least a box..

I'll go back home later to taste this, then taste the table salt, then taste the australian sea salt i got recently, then taste the kosher salt...and see if there are any difference or not.. It's ok, my blood pressure is low, so a bit more salt will do me good. lol!

So, now i can bake Chef Pang's Caramel Fleur de Sel macarons found at Chubby Hubby's site and finish up the last batch of egg whites sitting in my fridge! :)

0 comments:

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template