Monday, October 19, 2009

Apple Upside-Down Cake






Rose's Heavenly Cakes, Page 8: Apple Upside-Down Cake.

Initially i wanted to use peach instead of apples since the pairing of peach & almond seems better option for me since i prefer almonds, but in the end the fresh peaches selling at the supermarket weren't all that fresh and also quite expensive, i decided to bake the apple version and use my left-over walnuts from the earlier cake.

I used a 9" spring form pan because it was easily accessible in my pantry..lol! :P Too lazy to dig and measure the other pans buried somewhere in the cupboard. I was multi-tasking while baking - weighing the ingredients and running to the phone to talk to the airline office regarding changes in my flights. In my haste, i forgot to weigh the apples but i used 2 large apples - on sticker say it's from US, so i don't know what type of apple it is (fortunately not the huge Japanese Fuji version type..). :S AND I do not have Bourbon in my kitchen! :( I don't drink (er..alcohol, i meant). Before i started baking i actually never knew Bourbon existed! :p I wonder if i can replace Bourbon with Whiskey? Do they taste the same or not? *shrugs*

Ok, back to the cake... While baking, my entire kitchen smells so good! :) I love the sweet aroma of the caramalized apples and the vanilla cake..it just smells so delicious that you want to eat a piece of it as soon as it is out from the oven! Also, I didn't have any problems with springform pan and in fact i think it's better! After the cake is baked, i just remove the ring and put a plate on top, flip over, remove the bottom pan and all the apple is in place - no problem at all! :))

Now comes the tasting: I L-O-V-E it!! So does everyone in my family - they all love it too!! :D I brought some slices to my work place and was well received too! Rose is right, this apple upside-down cake paired with walnuts is just absolutely yummy!! As you all know i am not a walnut fan by now..but somehow when eaten with this cake, the cake and walnut combo goes down really well. The caramelized apples are not overly sweet and it is still crunchy and i like crunchy! (Is it meant to be crunchy or not? Anyway, mine is still crunchy, ie half-cooked apple slices and not the soft cooked type as in apple pie. I did use baking stone as mentioned in the book.). Also the cake is soft and moist but not wet. I thought when i turned over the cake all the sugar syrup will be absorbed by the cake leaving the cake wet and soggy, but it didn't and i was pleasantly surprised to be able to taste a normal moist cake with the crunchy apple slices..(unless i'm doing it all wrong..hahaha..even if wrong still tasted very good! LOL!).

15 comments:

SweetThingsTO on October 19, 2009 at 10:40 AM said...

Looks yummy! oooh - I'd like my kitchen to smell like that. I have to pick up that book this week!

Chocolaty Lifestyle on October 19, 2009 at 9:18 PM said...

I love apple cakes, this one should be sooo great! :)

Jenn on October 19, 2009 at 11:57 PM said...

Faithy - nice looking cake. It's fun to make isn't it? And yummy too. I wonder why on your blog it still says that mine was updated last week? I posted my entry this morning.

faithy on October 20, 2009 at 12:36 AM said...

Hi Jenn, did you 'turn on' your RSS feed? It seems like yours isn't turn on cos on my end i see an 'x' on RSS feed on your site which means i can't get your latest update. :) And yes, the cake is delicious!

Patricia @ ButterYum on October 20, 2009 at 12:37 AM said...

Great write up... nice photos. Glad to have you join the group!

:)
ButterYum

Jenn on October 20, 2009 at 12:46 AM said...

Faithy - how do I turn it on? I am so not cut out for blogging.

faithy on October 20, 2009 at 9:32 AM said...

Hi Jenn, go to your dashboard, then Settings, then Site Feeds and choose "Allow Blog Feeds" to "Full" (if under basic mode). I think that should do. You try and see if it works? :)

Jenn on October 20, 2009 at 10:09 PM said...

Faithy, thanks a lot! You know I tried to look it up yesterday to find how to do this, and it looks like it has been on - but only now it works. Weird. Anyway, looks like it works now - it said my blog was updated 1 day ago.

Marie on October 20, 2009 at 11:09 PM said...

Did you read about Nicola's adventures with a springform pan? You'll have to check it out!

faithy on October 21, 2009 at 9:23 AM said...

@ SweetThingsTo: Thanks! Do check out the book and lmk what you think! :)

@Chocolaty Lifestyle: Thanks!

@ButterYum: Thanks for your kind words! :) Made my day!

faithy on October 21, 2009 at 9:25 AM said...

Hi Marie, Yes, I did read Nicole's post about her leaky springform pan. I felt so sorry for her. I had no problems with springform pan probably because i lined my pan and also wrapped the pan with aluminum foil.

Vicki on October 23, 2009 at 12:34 PM said...

Great pictures of a great looking cake!

I actually liked both versions for different reasons. Apple sweets are high on my list of favorites and this cake was especially delicious. The peach cake was like candy, so so nice. I'd be hard pressed to choose.

Tracy on October 26, 2009 at 8:59 PM said...

Oooh, this looks heavenly!!

Patricia @ ButterYum on October 29, 2009 at 6:12 AM said...

I was wondering how the cake would taste with Raspberry Mousseline... so glad you liked it. I made the cakes late because I had a busy weekend... they're cooling now and I can't decide if I should make the whipped cream or frost with mousseline (which I already have made). Decisions, decisions...

:)
ButterYum
PS - I love the way you decorated your cake!

faithy on October 29, 2009 at 9:21 AM said...

@Tracy: Thanks!! :) Yup! Hence her book called Rose's Heavenly Cakes..LOL!

@Butteryum: Hi Pat, i'm so glad you made the cake! i was wondering why you didn't make this cake and was constantly checking your site for post update! I love reading your blog post and was a bit disappointed why you didn't bake this cake this weekend..but now i look forward to seeing photos of your cake & reading your post! :))

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template