Monday, November 30, 2009

Pure Pumpkin Cheesecake



Rose's Heavenly Cake, Page 247: Pure Pumpkin Cheesecake

Crust: I didn't make the gingersnap crust. I made digestive biscuit crust instead, cos i forgot to buy gingersnaps! :p i was lazy to bring out the food processor and used my hands to crush the digestive biscuits. I baked the crust for 10mins and put in the fridge to harden a bit.

Pumpkin Filling: While reading instructions for this (ok, ok, i didn't read the instructions prior..i read only last min) I realised by now that i still need to take my food processor out of the cabinet..argghh! Well, at least the next part - making the batter was easy. Rose said to smooth the batter with spatula, but my batter was very liquid..so nothing to smooth and it made me quite worried. But after baking, the pumpkin cheesecake did set, much to my relief. i wrapped aluminum foil over the springform pan which based on my experience, when baking via waterbath, water will leak through the springform pan if it is not covered with aluminum foil (or maybe my springform pan is lousy..lol!). After 45 mins, I removed the waterbath first and baked at 130C for 10mins more (just in case i figured..since my batter was liquid remember?) and then turned off and cooled the cheesecake in the oven for 45mins instead of 1 hour as instructed cos i was too impatient as i wanted to clean my oven asap.

Caramel Piping Glaze: Am I or smart or what? Or shall i say TOO smart? LOL! Instead of making caramel piping glaze, i made caramel candy instead! hahahaha! Look at the photo below. Now i have a batch of caramel toffee instead to go with my pumpkin cheesecake! Seriously, i don't know what i did..but i was happy stirring...more stirring and when i put in the butter i was still stirring over heat..i thought it won't do any harm. Then i added a tsp of brandy...and still stirring..lol! When i thought it was ok..it actually hardens into candy when cooled..and if i knew i was making toffee, i would have added some fleur de sel..would have been sooo good! It's still good now without fleur de sel....sticky, chewy & buttery. ;P See, this is a perfect example of not reading instructions properly!


Too burnt out to redo the caramel glaze, so i melted some chocolate and piped a huge flower on top of the cheesecake and put the pecan in the flower centre and as leaves. The less pecan nuts the better..i don't like them...:)

Verdict: Yummy!! Creamy and yet not too rich! Everyone loved it including my office colleagues. This cheesecake is extremely smooth & it melts-in-your mouth. Pumpkin taste is not so overpowering and blends in really well with the cheese! This recipe is definitely a keeper (minus the caramel glaze..hahaha) and i'll make it again, worth the effort of bringing out my food processor (sometimes i wish i have a bigger kitchen where i can put the food processor, kitchenaid mixer etc, on all the kitchen table..so i don't have to bring them in and out of my kitchen cabinet).

NOTE: Rose left a comment on Marie's blog..i cut & pasted it here as a way to remind myself not to worry about the thin batter...otherwise i might forget..

Blogger Rose Levy Beranbaum said...

fantastic job marie and everyone else who posted their versions. it's so fun to see how different they all look.

two important comments:

if the caramel comes off the slice in one gob it's because it was taken to too high a temperature. At a lower temperature a spoon or fork goes through it with ease. but i see loads of comments about thermometers so i'll say no more!

i appreciate the comment about the fear that the cake wouldn't set because the filling was so thin and i wrote to smooth it with a spatula. that's the danger of copy editing! my copy editor suggested adding this to all cakes and clearly it is not necessary for my cheesecake batters that flow into a smooth surface by themselves (note i never wrote this in the cake bible.) sometimes one's initial instincts best reflect what one actually does so i never should have added that phrase and i'm now taking it out for the next printing. thanks for calling it to my attention. it's great that this bake through will help to continue to perfect the book!

12 comments:

Patricia @ ButterYum on November 30, 2009 at 11:52 AM said...

Oh Faithy, what an adorable cheesecake. I really like your toffee flower, and how you used the pecans. Very cute!!

:)
ButterYum

evil cake lady on November 30, 2009 at 4:28 PM said...

I love the flower! I feel your pain regarding the small kitchen; I have to get down on the floor and root through the bottom shelf of the corner cabinet to pull out things like my food processor--which is usually stashed in the very back behind the crock pot! The things we do for baking.

faithy on November 30, 2009 at 5:05 PM said...

Thanks Pat! :)

Thanks Jennifer! Yes, me too! My food processor is hidden way back behind too..i have to remove a lot of things just to get to the food processor..:S

Rebecca on November 30, 2009 at 8:43 PM said...

Looks beautiful as always faithy!
My food processor is out on the counter at the moment which is very handy but it is taking up a lot of space.... trying to find room for it in a cupboard at the moment, it is a bit of a monster! I just don't use it as much when it's put away though...

Raymond on November 30, 2009 at 11:12 PM said...

Your cake looks delicious. What a clever idea for the caramel topping. I wish I had thought of that. I will certainly do it next time.

Raymond

HanaĆ¢ on December 1, 2009 at 12:14 AM said...

Beautiful cheesecake, Faithy! I briefly considered using choc ganache for decoration (as I had some leftover in the fridge), but ended up serving it plain. It was delicious. I'm glad you liked it too.

Sherrie on December 1, 2009 at 2:37 AM said...

Faithy, your photos are stunning, as always. And, it's not just your springform pan...I've had leaks even with a layer of foil...now I always use heavy duty foil x 2...cheesecakes are way too expensive to mess up.

Vicki on December 1, 2009 at 5:07 PM said...

Love your candies!!! Now my kids want me to make some too. Your cake looks so festive. You always make such cute things.

SweetThingsTO on December 1, 2009 at 10:06 PM said...

Beautiful! love the candies. btw - I don't think you are any "amateur" at all! You're gonna need to upgrade!

NancyB on December 2, 2009 at 6:22 AM said...

Mmmm....chocolate. Must remember to try this as an alternative sometime, though the bourbon caramel certainly was good, too.

Beautiful cheesecake!

faithy on December 2, 2009 at 10:06 AM said...

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments!

@Vicki: candies not difficult to make, just mess it up will do..lol!..just keep cooking till it gets really thick, i think.

Unknown on December 2, 2009 at 7:10 PM said...

You know we don't get that much pumpkin stuff in the UK so I can honestly say I've never tried anything like this. I do finally have my cans of puree hoarded in the cupboard so I need to try some of these pie and cheesecake things out.

Your chocolate piping reminds me of mine on the banana pecan fudge cake I did recently.... I was terrified I'd make a total mess of it but took a deep breath and it worked out ok. See you soon!

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template