Friday, January 1, 2010

STAR WARS - R2D2 Cake

Work in progress...


finally completed


HAPPY NEW YEAR! Yup, i spent new year's eve and new year baking and decorating this cake for a dear family friend's son - his 11th year old birthday and he loves Star Wars! It's a surprise cake and i didn't tell them i was going to make it till i completed the cake and delivered it to them. I hope the little boy likes it!

I don't know why the cake is much harder than i expected..hahaha..and my RTR fondant also way softer than usual..hence so many imperfection on the cake..the lines not straight enough. And this is also the first time i'm using rice crispy for the 'arms'...and the rice crispy moved down when i put it upright causing the covering fondant to crease..maybe it's our hot weather..cos it was much harder in the fridge compared to when it was out of the fridge. As usual, my husband was nagging at me to hurry up and it's really difficult to decorate anything perfect if some one is constantly at your back telling you to hurry up. I had many ideas initially, such as to cover the cake board with royal icing and dust with brown sugar but then with all the rushing..i completely forgotten! Nevermind... next time, if any...

I forgot to add that the entire cake cake is completely edible: dark chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream & rice crispy arms. :)



18 comments:

tspegar on January 1, 2010 at 11:36 PM said...

that cake looks fantastic! great job! you should be proud!!! happy 2010 to you :)

faithy on January 1, 2010 at 11:45 PM said...

Thanks Tiffany for your encouraging words!! My first in 2010! :) Happy New Year!

Nicola on January 2, 2010 at 12:14 AM said...

That cake is incredible. I would be excited about that cake and I am not even a Star Wars fan nor an 11 year old boy.

Heat + fondant = :(

I am amazed that you got it as perfect as you did - well done.

SweetThingsTO on January 2, 2010 at 1:11 AM said...

wow! The 11 year old boy is gonna love it! Actually, I think all the adults will love it too! What a difficult cake and you did it so great!

PAM on January 2, 2010 at 4:06 AM said...

Wow, your cake looks super!! What a lucky boy to get that cake. Happy New Year to you and the best of everything in 2010.

Lois B on January 2, 2010 at 8:15 AM said...

Amazing; Joel is one lucky boy!

faithy on January 2, 2010 at 9:45 AM said...

Thank you all for your kind words! Happy New Year!

Unknown on January 2, 2010 at 5:28 PM said...

That's fabulous! I must not show it to my husband or he will want one!

Patricia @ ButterYum on January 3, 2010 at 1:02 AM said...

WOW - I'm totally impressed. Great job!

:)
ButterYum

Tracy on January 3, 2010 at 2:58 AM said...

Wow, is that gorgeous!! Beautiful work!

Happy new year! :-)

Vicki said...

Holy smokes Faithy, this is fantastic!

faithy on January 3, 2010 at 10:14 AM said...

Thank you all for your kind & encouraging words! Somehow i keep looking at all the imperfections and it bugs me quite a bit. :S Thank you all! :)

Jenn on January 5, 2010 at 2:13 AM said...

I can't see any imperfection on this cake! But I know what you mean Faithy (I do the same thing). I think we are our own worst critic. Beautiful job! Looks just like R2D2 :). I can't imagine how long it takes you to do this cake!

faithy on January 5, 2010 at 9:41 AM said...

Thanks Jenn! More time taken for baking the cakes (so many layers) but the decorating time was fast since i did most free hand instead of using cutters. Didn't have the time to go dig my cutters out (my cutters are all kept hidden away in the cabinet..)..I find it so tiring at times to take things out from the cupboard and then put them back again..but then my husband who has slight OCD tendencies (hahaha) gets really upset when he sees things lying around out of place! That's one reason why he rushes me to complete because he can't stand to see the mess i made on the dining table when i decorate cakes/cookies...and he can be real nag-gy for sure! LOL!

Undomesticated Me on January 6, 2010 at 11:09 PM said...

Wow! This cake is amazing looking. I'm very impressed! Looks like something from Food Network's "Ace of Cakes."

faithy on January 7, 2010 at 9:35 AM said...

Thanks Paula! It's far from Ace of Cakes! Theirs are like PERFECT!

bakeAstory on January 11, 2010 at 1:07 AM said...

this is an amzing looking cake!!!

Blessed Homemaker on January 24, 2010 at 1:26 AM said...

Wow! This is gorgeous!

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template