Monday, December 27, 2010

Banana Pajamas Cake

My son's birthday is on boxing day and we usually celebrate his birthday on Christmas Eve with logcake as his birthday cake.  But this year, I decided to bake a special cake for him.  Initially I thought of just baking a normal quick and easy chocolate cake (like last  year) or go down to the bakery to buy him a cake...but guilt got the better of me.  Even though I am not certain if he knows what or when his birthday is (and he is still rather confused as to how old he actually is), I should still make him feel special by baking one of his favorite character cakes.   I figured Banana Pajamas is probably quite appropriate because whenever you ask him to sing a Birthday Song, he would sing it as "...Happy Birthday B1 & B2.." and not his name or any other person's name...because he is replaying this episode of Banana Pajamas in his mind - of them celebrating their birthday with Morgan, Lulu & Amy with a cake, munchy honey cakes and yellow jelly.. 

This design is taken from Debbie Brown's book. Of course her Banana Pajamas character cake is way way way better than this.  That's because i didn't follow her instructions and I used my own cake base and thus resulted in a not-so-great Banana Pajamas. But inspiration and design is from Debbie Brown.  




Again, i couldn't decide which photo i like better, thus posted up both of them.   Since this cake wasn't exactly planned for and last minute i rushed through, i felt that i didn't really do a very good job in carving or fondant work..but at least they still look like Banana Pajamas since my son is able to identify them..and he seems pretty happy when i completed it.  We have yet to cut the cake, so not sure if he will be upset if we cut it tonight though..

Happy 18th Birthday to my son Joel! Yes, he is 18 already and i can't believe it....i  keep forgetting at times and still sees him as my little boy..  

Updates: [He didn't want to cut the cake at all...probably he doesn't sees it as a cake and doesn't want to destroy it........hmm..maybe i should just bake him a plain cake next time so at least he knows a cake is a cake..hahaha]. 





19 comments:

Jenn on December 27, 2010 at 11:04 AM said...

Super cute cake, Faithy. I can't imagine the book will be better!

Happy Birthday to your son!

Monica on December 27, 2010 at 12:20 PM said...

OMG.. how cute is this! Faithy, they are adorable... and as always showing your great talent!

HBday to him!

faithy on December 27, 2010 at 2:54 PM said...

Thanks Jenn! Thanks Monica! :D

ann low on December 27, 2010 at 3:29 PM said...

This is so cute and perfect!
Happy Birthday to your son :)

Unknown on December 27, 2010 at 9:48 PM said...

Totally super cute!!
Happy birthday your son!

Marie on December 27, 2010 at 10:09 PM said...

Faithy,
I can't believe you are apologizing for this cake in any way! It looks wonderful and was a very lovely thing for you to do for your son. In fact, if you're not allowed to cut it, you may have to bronze it, so it will last forever!

Hanaâ on December 28, 2010 at 1:16 AM said...

I'm with Marie on this one. It looks perfect to me. And you did that while rushing?? Great job as always. Happy belated birthday to your son!!

Unknown on December 28, 2010 at 3:07 AM said...

I LOVE it, what a special cake

NEL, the batter baker on December 28, 2010 at 10:01 AM said...

You're being too modest. The cake looks amazing, and certainly looks very pro! Well done.

SweetThingsTO on December 28, 2010 at 9:53 PM said...

oh - how cute! Happy Birthday to your son! And happy new year to you! Look forward to your posts in 2011!

maameemoomoo on December 28, 2010 at 11:52 PM said...

Love it!!

I really need to learn from you. aihsss.. I have 2 birthdays next month! Headache.

Anyway, Happy Birthday to your baby boy!! (they will always be our babies la, no matter how old they are!)

giovanna on December 29, 2010 at 5:13 PM said...

OMG!!!!! amazing cake!

Brandy L on December 30, 2010 at 12:08 AM said...

OMG! How awesome is this cake! I would have a hard time cutting that cake myself as well.

Tracy on December 30, 2010 at 12:39 AM said...

Oh my goodness, this is the cutest thing I've ever seen! Happy birthday to your son! :-)

Judy on December 31, 2010 at 5:03 AM said...

Absolutely adorable! I so admire creative bakers that have a decorating talent. I have none.

Vicki on December 31, 2010 at 7:46 AM said...

Faithy, this is so clever! What a wonderful mom you are. Belated Happy Birthday to your son. The years pass much too quickly.

enq said...

Jojo is 18? Time really flies! Happy belated birthday! :)

Marj Jenkins on January 2, 2011 at 9:49 PM said...

Great job - and especially impressive that you had time to do it before Christmas with everything else that goes on that time of year! I love the expressions on the bananas' faces... I couldn't cut them either. Hope your son had a wonderful birthday!

Jamie on January 8, 2011 at 6:53 PM said...

Oh this is such a cute and fun cake! I think it is perfect and I want one for my birthday!

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template