Monday, May 11, 2015

TBB Catchup Week: Dattelkonfekkt Take 2


Dattelkonfekkt - Take 2.  I made these again. Don't ask me why. They turned out better with some changes. However, I still can't pronounce the name or spell it correctly. I had to cut & paste each time I type this name.  I cut & paste from my earlier post..lol! 


The earlier ones I made with somewhat more moist dates. I figured maybe if I used drier dates would be better. I can't find pitted dates, so I used Chinese red dates. My husband bought 2 different types for me, the seedless & the ones with seed. So when the seedless ones didn't measure up to 250g, I topped up with the ones with seeds and had to remove the seeds. 


When the food processor was churning the dates & almond mixture , I could hear loud crackling noises. Oh no!! There must be some seeds in the supposedly 'seedless' red dates!!! Pfft!!!?!? Too  late to do anything now..except to grind it finer...  Cannot trust fully next time when they say it is seedless! Actually I did try some and the ones I ate were seedless.


To keep the meringue stable in our humid climate, I heat up the sugar and egg white by bain-marie method, until all sugar disappeared.
I ran out of sugar and only used 180g instead of 200g.


Mix the date/almond mixture with meringue. 
This time, I can feel the mixture is drier and not as wet as before. 
Almost hard to pipe it out.


I had to use a lot of my strength to pipe out the very sticky batter onto the wafer disc. 


Then I baked in very low oven at 100c for 2 hours like I would with meringue. This time they didn't collapse when out of the oven.




When cooled down, they turned hard and crispy.. a bit too hard. But the next day, the cookies became slightly softer and chewier inside - Perfect to me now. I like the texture and flavor. Maybe because I like red dates. Also red dates are not as sweet. I am quite addicted to these cookies now and keep eating them.  They should be perfect except that there are some partially grinded seeds present and have to eat with caution in case I break my teeth. 

-------------------------


It was long weekend, so I made our local dessert as well call Ondeh Ondeh. Made with sweet potatoes & glutinous rice flour, with Gula Melaka aka Palm sugar inside, coated with freshly grated coconut. When you bite into the chewy balls, the Gula Melaka oozes out. So yummy!  Gluten free and vegan too. :D Actually come to think of it, a lot of our local desserts are gluten free. 







9 comments:

Angie's Recipes on May 11, 2015 at 10:36 AM said...

They turned out great! And not only are these very tasty, also very healthy too.

evil cake lady on May 11, 2015 at 10:45 AM said...

Oh my, the Ondeh Ondeh sounds yummy! I also love Chinese red dates. They are so good for you! I'm glad you found a way to make the Dattelkonfekt work in your climate and to your tastes.

Unknown on May 11, 2015 at 12:41 PM said...

I think the Ondeh Ondeh sounds so nice too :) I've never had red dates… don't know if we have them here. Oh, you baked on the wafers, they look great :)

Unknown on May 11, 2015 at 5:15 PM said...

Very clever of you to figure out all the changes to make these turn out just the way you like them! You can just call them date meringues instead of dattelkonfekt and then they'll be perfect.

Vicki on May 11, 2015 at 9:18 PM said...

There is just something about the date cookies that it's impossible to just eat one! I've never seen red dates. They sound delicious. Ondeh Ondeh look so yummy.

Unknown on May 11, 2015 at 11:22 PM said...

You know Peggy, With the dry (ish) meringue and the chewy dates, these cookies should have been irresistible. I felt they needed a little tweaking also to achieve the ideal "chew." Your changes sound perfect, and I'll make notes of your changes in my book for the next time. They look completely delicious. Great job.

Unknown on May 13, 2015 at 5:45 AM said...

Im going to ask - why Peggy why?! Actually I can understand perfectly and I'm impressed that they worked well the second time round. Can you explain the heating sugar and eggs step?

dedy oktavianus on May 15, 2015 at 5:11 AM said...

Simply damn delicious!!!
Dedy@Dentist Chef

Milagritos on May 20, 2015 at 12:29 PM said...

I love onde onde! You are so hard working! Glad you liked your second batch of dattelconfekkt.

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template