Monday, March 1, 2010

[MacTweets/ma5] Spring Fling: Yuzu RedBean Macarons






Yuzu Macarons Shells with RedBean centre & Yuzu/Lime Buttercream.

I had a hard time coming up with flavors for Spring since I live here in the tropics where it is Summer all year round and right now we are experiencing the hottest period ever!  All i can think of is ice-cream, ice-water, ice-kachang (local dessert made of ice!)..

I finally thought of Yuzu flavored macarons since i just bought a bottle of yuzu paste. It smells very much like tangerine/mandarin oranges..and i like anything orange. :)   I paired the Yuzu macaron shells with redbean centre & yuzu/lime buttercream.  

This time I wanted to try a different macaron recipe so i settled on Veron's @ Kitchenmusing.com  italian meringue recipe. You can find her recipe here.  She's a very talented lady and she uses the original recipe by Pierre Hermes having been to his macaron classes.   The recipe isn't too difficult and her instructions are pretty clear.  However, i had a hard time folding in the egg white. For this method, I find I needed a lot of strength to fold and  macaronnage which i find quite tiring!  

<Note>: I realised that the macarons from this recipe is more chewy with better texture and even though the recipe seems to have a lot more sugar, it doesn't taste any sweeter than the other macaron recipes i've tried before. Recipe definitely a keeper despite the fact that i have difficulty folding in the meringue. LOL! 

Please do check out other bloggers' macarons & flavors listed on http://mactweets.blogspot.com!



17 comments:

Barbara Bakes on February 28, 2010 at 11:05 PM said...

Great macs! I'd love to try yuzu paste sometime. It sounds like a flavor I could love!

Pei-Lin on February 28, 2010 at 11:44 PM said...

Yuzu paired with azuki! There's definitely a Spring feel--the Asian way! Your macs look as gorgeous as ever--despite the lil' comments you made about the new recipe. I know nothing's gonna stop you from achieving your goal!

MaryMoh on March 1, 2010 at 6:47 AM said...

My gosh...these look so beautiful and romantic! I must make these for next year's Valentine's Day :D

Elaine on March 1, 2010 at 9:01 PM said...

ooo they look perfect!! smooth tops with little 'feet' (I *think* that's what they're called...)

Macarons are definitely on my 'to bake list' :)

Tracy on March 1, 2010 at 9:59 PM said...

Gorgeous, and so spring-y! Love them!!

Vicki on March 2, 2010 at 9:06 AM said...

Can I send you all my frozen egg whites to turn into macarons? You really are getting quite proficient. These are so pretty and yuzu sounds amazing. Never heard of it before!

Mendy on March 2, 2010 at 10:17 AM said...

ב''ה

Very cool!

youfei on March 2, 2010 at 10:30 AM said...

Hey! I love how your macs have such tall tall feet!

They look really good and exotic flavours you've got!

Monica on March 2, 2010 at 11:18 AM said...

This is one of those recipes that I would love to make but are totally intimidating... I think I will continue to watch from afar all of the fellow food bloggers that seem to make them in a jiffy.

Unknown on March 2, 2010 at 7:49 PM said...

I've never heard of Yuzu and don't know where I'd get the red bean stuff but the colour of these is amazing. No matter how much food colouring I put in mine they seem to fade a lot in the oven.

Might be making my mactweets this afternoon now I've recovered from my marathon daring bakers post!!!

Patricia @ ButterYum on March 3, 2010 at 12:56 AM said...

Phenominal!!!!

I promise, one day I'll give these a try.

:)
ButterYum

faithy on March 3, 2010 at 5:20 PM said...

Thank you all for your lovely comments! :) I think i might have probably over-fold the macarons a bit hence the high feet. lol! :)

Deeba PAB on March 5, 2010 at 4:11 PM said...

WOW... Faithy these are absoluitely stunning and very perfect! Love how beautifully you got these together. The flavours are entirely intriguing. Maybe one day I shall master the art as well.
Thank you for joining us at MacTweets. It's wonderful to have you on!

Coco Cake Land on March 10, 2010 at 1:26 AM said...

i adore azuki... these look so bright and lovely.. i just wanna chomp into one of them!!

i LOVE ice treats too... we don't as many choices here in vancouver, only ice cream, a few shaved ice places...

tspegar on March 13, 2010 at 11:11 PM said...

your macs are perfect! so smooth and colorful! i love them and i love the creative flavor choice! wow.

Bonnie on March 23, 2010 at 10:55 PM said...

These are just beautiful. Wow! You have mastered the mac. I love the flavors you used.

Cristie on March 25, 2010 at 12:31 PM said...

What beautiful color shells with the contrasting filling. I would love to try the yuzu paste it sounds so interesting. Perfect!!

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template