Sunday, March 14, 2010

Alice in Wonderland Cake



It's my daughter's turn to bring a cake to Church for Youth Fellowship for the month.  I decided to make an Alice in Wonderland's cake after watching Tim Burton's 3D movie.  Don't ask me why, but i just love the story of Alice in Wonderland since young.  

Thanks to a very generous flickr-friend Taya @deliciouslydecadent for her topsy turvy cake tutorial that i finally plucked the courage to do this. However, i did a lousy job! LOL! I cut the cake the wrong way, ie, i cut it in the opposite way (instead of a pyramid, i did a cone..) and i realised my mistake a bit too late. And to salvage it, i did everything the wrong way to get it right. LOL! Then i  place the top tier a bit off the centre... er....yup..i don't know what's wrong with me..i don't see it until i get everything done and then noticed it is off the centre. But I'm quite happy with my 'un-planned' last minute design and my inspiration is from other flickr members - Genevieve @forloveofcake and Rebecca @sweetcakesbyrebecca.  Needless to say, of course their design is 1000x better than mine. :))

The problem with me is i don't know how to plan & design a cake. This cake design just came up as I went along.. I asked my daughter who is into design (she plans to study it as she enters into university this year) to help me think of something and she fell asleep while thinking - so much for counting on her!?!?  I actually had some ideas in my mind but as i was doing it, i completely forgotten and colored the top tier fondant in the wrong color. So i had to just add whatever i thought of as i went along.   Also i spelt the Happy "UN-Birthday" wrongly...and NOBODY at home noticed it.. aargghh.. until when the cake was about to be cut..someone then noticed it!  






Here's the left over cake.  Coffee cake with coffee buttercream & white chocolate coffee ganache.  A lot of caffeine in the cake. I think you don't have to drink coffee after eating a slice of this! LOL!   

23 comments:

ann low on March 14, 2010 at 5:05 PM said...

I think this cake looks so perfect. So cute, never mind about the wrong wording.

Julia @Mélanger on March 14, 2010 at 6:38 PM said...

Oh my gosh, this is a piece of art. What an amazing cake!

Mendy on March 14, 2010 at 9:36 PM said...

ב''ה

What fun. The half painted roses really are a nice touch.

Jane on March 14, 2010 at 10:17 PM said...

Faithy, if this is an example of you doing a "lousy job" then I can't wait to see what you would consider to be one of your very best jobs! You are a spectacular cake decorator!!! This is utterly fantastic. People at my church would faint if anyone brought in a cake that looked like this! Your daughter must feel like the luckiest kid there!

:) Jane

Whimsy Cookie Co. on March 14, 2010 at 10:55 PM said...

I think you did an awesome job on this cake!!! Very cute!! Love it!!

NancyB on March 14, 2010 at 11:10 PM said...

Beautiful--I too really liked the half-painted roses. And the Mad Hatter's hat, and the White Rabbit's watch, and all! (I haven't seen the movie yet, but oh how I love the books.)

Anonymous said...

That looks absolutely amazing! I've never seen a cake this cool in real life- Love the Alice theme. The skewed wording is only to expected in a Wonderland cake,I think!

Hanaâ on March 15, 2010 at 12:24 AM said...

That cake looks awesome, Faithy. Wow, a lot of work went into the details. Love the (immediately recognizable) black and white fondant diamonds. And the cat :o) Great job!

Vicki said...

Faithy, it's fantastic! Mistakes weren't mistakes, just "adaptions"!
How long did this take to make?

Dhanya Ganesh on March 15, 2010 at 2:32 PM said...

What a lovely cake. Luved all the details on the cake:).

Mar Varela on March 15, 2010 at 5:03 PM said...

Wonderful cake, thanks for your comment in my blog, I hope you comeback
A kiss from Spain

Unknown on March 15, 2010 at 7:33 PM said...

This such a happy cake, so well designed.Really an inspiring work.

Unknown on March 15, 2010 at 8:00 PM said...

That looks brilliant, there's so much detail there. I especially like the trees and the cheshire cat's face.

Cake Believe on March 15, 2010 at 8:09 PM said...

WOW! You are much to hard on yourself! I think this is an amazingly detailed cake and very well executed! I think we tend to be harder on ourselves and when we look all we see are the things that went wrong (at least that's what I do!) I wouldn't have noticed any of the things you pointed out! Great cake!

Tracy on March 15, 2010 at 9:21 PM said...

I think this cake is so much fun! Love it!!

Cake Fixation on March 15, 2010 at 9:44 PM said...

The details are wonderful! I love the how you did cheshire.

Barbara Bakes on March 16, 2010 at 7:16 AM said...

I'm so impressed with this cake! If you hadn't told me the problems you had with it, I never would have guess it was anything but perfect!

faithy on March 16, 2010 at 5:01 PM said...

Thank you all so much! Your comments really meant a lot to me and made me feel better about cutting up the cake wrongly to begin with! :) Thanks for dropping by! :D

Lois B on March 16, 2010 at 10:07 PM said...

Another masterpiece, Faithy!

Monica on March 20, 2010 at 8:38 AM said...

Ohhhh.. I love the whimsy of it... and love the tip in the how to do the toppled over effect. I agree with Jane, if this is the lousy, I cannot wait to see the "good"!

Coffee and chocolate.. the best combination EVER!

Congratulations it looks soo beautiful

Monica on March 20, 2010 at 8:41 AM said...

and on another note.. there is no WRONG way to cut cake... lol *wink*

FATMUM on March 25, 2010 at 7:33 PM said...

Hi Hi Faithy, like your fondant creation. Thumbs up! Btw can i check are you using a sponge cake base? Cos friend told me butter cake base is better and firmer to hold the fondant. :)

faithy on March 25, 2010 at 10:57 PM said...

@FatMum: light sponge is not ideal..butter sponge/butter cakes is most ideal

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template