After reading & salivating over Jane's (of Jane's Sweet & Baking Journal) post on Strawberries & Cream Muffins, i had every intention to bake her muffins on Sunday since they looked very delicious and so tempting..lol! Check out her blog and her post (both links are given above) and you will know what i mean. :D
However, i got side-tracked after going through some books i haven't been reading for a while and saw a similar bread recipe with strawberries & cheese by Alex Goh from his book "Magic Bread" using gelatinized dough. I made Butter Sugar Bread from his Magic Bread book before and his bread recipes never failed me, always so soft and chewy and has a longer shelf-life compared to the rest of the other bread i've baked before, ie, it stays soft and chewy the next 2 days without the use of bread addictives/improver.
Also it would be a waste not to bake bread in this hot weather...proofing is so fast & easy..lol! I'm glad i baked these buns! I love the strawberries & cheese filling in the bread and the streusel topping adds to the crunch.
Strawberry Sweet Bread
from Magic Bread by Alex Goh
(Basic recipe for his dough link can be found here (or see below))
1. Divide sweet bread dough into 70g each and mould it round. Place it onto a 11cm round baking cup mould.
2. Place it in warm place and let it proof for 40mins.
3. Egg wash the surface. Pipe strawberry cheese fillings in the centre of bread, then sprinkle some streusel over it.
4. Bake at 180c for 15 mins.
Strawberry Cheese Fillings
125g cream cheese
50g whipping cream
10g custard powder
3 pcs of fresh strawberries chopped
Cream cream cheese & sugar till light. Add in whipping cream and cream till smooth. Add in custard powder and mix until well blended. Add in chopped strawberries and mix till combined.
100g bread flour
Mix sugar and butter by hand until crumbles. Add in flour and mix till crumbles. Keep it in fridge. Use it to sprinkle on top or coat the surface of dough.
Basic Sweet Dough Recipe
(taken from Magic Bread by Alex Goh)
A) 100g Bread Flour
70g boiling water
B) 300g bread flour
100g plain flour
20g milk powder
c) 175g cold water
60g cold eggs
D) 60g butter
1) Add boiling water from A into flour, mix until well blended to form a dough. Cover and set aside to cool. Keep it into fridge for at least 12 hrs.
2) Mix B until well blended. Add in C and knead to form rough dough. Add in A and knead till well-blended.
3) Add in D and knead to form elastic dough
4) Let it proof for 40mins.
5) Divide the dough into required weight and mould it round. Rest it for 10mins and ready to use.