Monday, July 12, 2010

Mini Vanilla Bean Pound Cakes



Rose's Heavenly Cakes, Page 325: Mini Vanilla Bean Pound Cakes

I have some disposable aluminum mini loaf pans which i bought about a year ago. I bought them with the intention to bake Dorie Greenspan's chocolate mini pound cake but i never got round doing it..:p  I have a long list of to-dos but get distracted most of the time.  The aluminum pan is slightly larger than the required ones, so the batter filled in the 2 pans exactly.

Recipe is easy. I noticed that there's typo error in the metric measurement. I suppose..it is to read grams instead of ounces for the weight of sugar and cake flour.  I was lazy to use vanilla bean, so i used bottled vanilla bean paste instead. However, i used vanilla sugar in place of rubbing the vanilla beans onto the sugar.  I didn't make the vanilla cognac syrup, i took the short cut and added cognac to my already triple-sec syrup which i had in the fridge...somehow i like the combo of triple-sec and cognac!

Verdict: Very yummy. Light & tender crumbs.  I should have added more syrup though - but i forgot to brush the underside of the cake..maybe that's the reason..   Definitely a to-bake again cake, since it's simple and easy..and i have plenty of syrup left in my fridge too..lol!    My only complain is made only 2 small cakes..and the cake is gone in one sitting!  lol!  My son loves it...didn't complain about the vanilla bean seeds..






21 comments:

Mendy on July 12, 2010 at 10:54 AM said...

ב''ה

Looks great!

Such perfectly sliced slices, without crumbs everywhere.

Did you use a special cake slicer?

:)

Alpha Baker Joan on July 12, 2010 at 12:18 PM said...

Looks great, Faithy. I didn't get that nice rise and slit : (

cocoa and coconut on July 12, 2010 at 1:58 PM said...

Vanilla is my favourite! Just wondering whether you think using vanilla beans or vanilla paste makes a difference to the end result?

Vicki on July 12, 2010 at 10:05 PM said...

Cognac and triple-sec syrup sounds delicious! Pretty cake picture.

cocoa and coconut on July 12, 2010 at 10:36 PM said...

Hi Faithy, just popping back in to reply to your question on my white choc cheesecake. I think it would be sweet than the dark choc cheesecake because white chocolate generally is sweeter and more buttery compared to dark.

Also, when you get the chance I'd love to know whether you think using vanilla beans or vanilla paste makes a difference to the end result of baked goods??

Happy baking!
Brittany.

Monica on July 12, 2010 at 11:11 PM said...

You aren I think alike! We use the same pan! But, unlike you I totally went the lazy way and did not soak mine into anything, left it "natural" and it was just as good - Tom, said that while he does like it, he prefers my own pound cake recipe... man can be so fickle!

Love the cut out picture.

ann low on July 13, 2010 at 12:28 AM said...

Looks so good! Must bookmark this~thanks!

Patricia @ ButterYum on July 13, 2010 at 1:28 AM said...

Hi Faithy - your photos tell the story of pound cake perfection! Absolute perfection!!

:)
ButterYum

PS - good catch on the type-o. I'm going to go make a correction to my copy right away.

lola on July 13, 2010 at 3:58 AM said...

Faithy, I know what you mean about "only two cakes". Really delicious and a keeper recipe. Good job.

Juliana on July 13, 2010 at 6:32 AM said...

Oh Faithy, this cake look so yummie...I love vanilla cake.

faithy on July 13, 2010 at 9:39 AM said...

Thank you all!! :D My only complain is the recipe makes too little cake..have to double up the recipe for sure!

PAM on July 13, 2010 at 11:03 AM said...

Your cake looks perfect. Hmmmm cognac and tripple sec, will have to try that!! I noticed that typo also and good idea to use vanilla paste instead of the beans.

Jenn on July 13, 2010 at 11:12 AM said...

Looks pretty! Sounds like everyone love this cake and commented that there's not enough. Now I regretted skipping it and wish I had made it. Oh well, something for the free choice week.

gartblue on July 13, 2010 at 4:56 PM said...

great presentation, faithy .. and perfect crumb-less pictures ... I would have crumbs even on the lens case .. hahaha .. the bottled vanilla paste is just convenient, i think and it makes for keeping the seed fresher longer ..

SweetThingsTO on July 13, 2010 at 8:42 PM said...

I haven't had pound cake in a while - yours looks yummy!

Unknown on July 14, 2010 at 6:29 AM said...

Can I have a slice please ?Yummy.

Amanda on July 15, 2010 at 8:37 PM said...

Its BEAUTIFUL faithy... just heavenly! ;)

Blessings-
Amanda

maameemoomoo on July 16, 2010 at 1:30 PM said...

I'm craving for pound cakes now!

Just asked helper to get 2 blocks of butter out :P

Tracy on July 16, 2010 at 9:14 PM said...

These are so cute; I love mini loaves! I've never tried vanilla bean before but it looks divine!

momgateway on July 17, 2010 at 5:34 AM said...

...indeed, simple is best...

Hanaâ on July 17, 2010 at 5:42 AM said...

Beautiful cakes, Faithy!! Sounds like your aluminum pans waited for the perfected cake :o) I'm glad it was a big hit with the family. It's definitely a keeper!

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template