Saturday, January 8, 2011

White Velvet Cake with Milk Chocolate Ganache



Rose's Heavenly Cakes, page 17: White Velvet Cake with Milk Chocolate Ganache

I realised that the white velvet cake recipe is the same recipe on page 298, ie white velvet butter cupcakes.  So I decided to bake cupcakes instead of layer cake (no baking mood).  I figured that cupcakes bake faster in the oven and i don't have to cut the round parchment etc.  Since the beginning of the new year, I have been feeling extremely tired because i have to get up early to get my son ready for school in the morning. Age is certainly catching up I have to say...

I searched my entire pantry and i don't have a single milk chocolate bar!?!  Only 60%  and 99% bitter chocolate.. So in my desperation (or shall i say laziness..because now that there is a huge shopping centre near my neighborhood within 10mins walk and a 24hr supermart....ok..maybe one of my major distraction for not baking too..i've been shopping all the time.....lol!), I decided to mix 70% chocolate bar with milk chocolate. I can't remember what was ratio used as i just eye-balled it.  Turned out quite good..maybe it's still a bit dark but just the way i like it. :p

Didn't frost the cupcakes with lots of ganache. Just dipped the cupcakes when the ganache is still 'watery' and gave it a thin coat on top.  My husband doesn't like too much frosting on cupcakes.   


VERDICT:  Totally yummylicious!  I love the "whiteness" of the cake.  So pretty!  Cake texture is soo soft with such delicate crumbs. I love it. Very moist too.  Everyone enjoyed it!  And did i mention i totally adore how white the cake is?  Definitely will be in my baking repertoire. 

19 comments:

Angie's Recipes on January 8, 2011 at 8:41 PM said...

White and black .. looks very pretty!

Unknown on January 8, 2011 at 9:00 PM said...

looks heavenly.so soft and moist.
love ganache!

cocoa and coconut on January 8, 2011 at 9:08 PM said...

Well done for baking despite your business/tiredness. These look lovely, I actually like the thin icing too.

Monica on January 8, 2011 at 10:45 PM said...

Pretty... welcome back! I just took out my ingredients to get all room temperature and then we start... I hoping this one goes fast! Its a beautiful day here in Florida today..way to nice to stay indoors today

Vicki on January 9, 2011 at 1:24 AM said...

Very simple and pretty! I don't know what it is but getting back in the baking groove after the holidays has been difficult!

lora on January 9, 2011 at 1:47 AM said...

These cupcakes looks delectable and the photos - just gorgeous!

PAM on January 9, 2011 at 2:31 AM said...

Your cupcakes look yummy! I got a little burned out after all the Christmas orders. But I'm back at it now. Happy New Year!!

Hanaâ on January 9, 2011 at 7:23 AM said...

Ooh yum! I agree, I like the whiteness of your cupcakes too. Such a lovely crumb. I might have to cut the cut in half or fourths and bake cupcakes instead.

maameemoomoo@1/2 food blog on January 9, 2011 at 11:23 AM said...

Like you, i like the white cake!!

So pretty!

Alpha Baker Joan on January 10, 2011 at 1:43 AM said...

Stunning! [as usual!] Love the dipping idea - really left a beautiful, shine coating.

Whimsy Cookie Co. on January 10, 2011 at 2:59 AM said...

Yum Yum!! These look incredible!!!

Jenn on January 11, 2011 at 4:47 AM said...

Faithy, beautiful cupcakes! I love your dipping method. It also colors the top of the wrapper nicely. I'll definitely borrow this technique.

lola on January 12, 2011 at 10:55 AM said...

Well Faithy, your cupcakes look fabulous. Mine were quite pedestrian, but we found the same recipe in Roses book. The ninos next door loved them. Great job as always!

Unknown on January 13, 2011 at 2:52 AM said...

Mmmmmm. Sound delish! White chocolate and ganache is a divine combo!

Sarah, Maison Cupcake on January 14, 2011 at 5:20 AM said...

Oh my! These look so delicate! I'd probably overrule the husband and put thicker layer of chocolate on them but actually I think the thin layer is what makes them look so stylish.

Mary Bergfeld on January 18, 2011 at 5:26 AM said...

Faithy, your cake is outstanding. It is the color of midnight and gorgeous to look at. The figures you fashioned for your son are also amazing. I am new to your blog and while here have been browsing through your earlier entries. I really like the food and recipes you feature. I'll definitely be back. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Anonymous said...

Oh -- those cupcakes look divine. I now have to add baking them to my list of things to do today.

Amanda on January 30, 2011 at 9:02 PM said...

Oh my gosh... I WANT that recipe!! I bet it would be my new go-to white cake! :) Great shots girl!

Kristen on February 21, 2011 at 10:22 AM said...

I LOVE this recipe! Perfectly moist and fluffy :). It's delicious filled with vanilla buttercream and fresh sliced strawberries. Your cupcakes look amazing!

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template