Monday, April 4, 2011

Karmel Cake

Rose Heavenly Cakes, Page 31: Karmel Cake

Marie said Woody is going track me down with his tai-chi sword if i don't start baking, so i better move my lazy butt and start baking! LOL! Honestly i've not seen such a long large sword before..i wonder if it is allowed here in Singapore to begin with? Perhaps only if you registered it or have some sort of approval? Not sure. 

I came home after work at 8pm..read the recipe and seems fairly easy and something that i can get it done in an hour or so.  I got my ingredients ready and made the caramel. Ok..i think i must have mis-read the caramel making..i think i'm suppose to stir it but i didn't..i was distracted with other things..and i think i burnt my caramel because i didn't stir it because the temperature didn't register at 114c and yet  my caramel started to have black bits... looked ugly but tasted quite nice and sweet..lol!  I tried to cheat by eating up all the black bits but they were too much..so i gave up.    See the bowl of caramel below..looks like satay peanut sauce to me.    Oh..in order to speed things up, i cooled the caramel in ice-water..just like the book said i could do...and place it directly under my aircon.. it worked cos it took less than 10mins to cool down. 


I think this recipe is quite forgiving because even with my slightly burnt caramel bits, the cake turned out great.  Again..i don't know what i was doing..i baked it in an 8" pan instead of 9".   The cake baked for another 10mins more than the stated time and registered with a slight dome, but other than that, the cake turned out pretty ok. 



VERDICT:  Yummy! Very moist and soft.  Has a distinct caramel taste..very unusual but yet interesting.  Love that i have that caramel bits so there's a slight crunch to it.  Everyone in my family said it's great. Not too sweet either.  I didn't have ice-cream or cream..but would have been a great pairing imo!   

Yay..i finally got my HCB assignment done. *phew*...  I have so many cakes i want to bake..Devil's Food Cake, Orange Chiffon... next please...  


6 comments:

Jenn on April 5, 2011 at 12:28 AM said...

Faithy, welcome back! I'm so happy that Marie "threathened" you, otherwise we'd never see you!

Yes your caramel does look like satay sauce.

Your cake looks really good, I like the dome.

evil cake lady on April 5, 2011 at 2:37 AM said...

faithy, how nice to see you! your cake looks great, and I like the dome, too. welcome back!

faithy on April 5, 2011 at 8:45 AM said...

Thanks Jenn! Thanks Jeniffer! Sure feels great to be back! :D

Vicki on April 5, 2011 at 10:57 AM said...

Missed you, Faithy, glad you're up to baking again. I think it's hard to start baking again after a hiatus. Your cake looks nice and high. That caramel took me forever to get to the right temperature.

cocoa and coconut on April 5, 2011 at 9:36 PM said...

Gosh I love forgiving recipes haha! I love it when they turn out good even though something sort of went wrong. Good job!

maameemoomoo - a ½ food blog on April 8, 2011 at 10:55 AM said...

Welcome back faithy!

U have been missed!

Wait, which site are u at now? The new one or u are sticking to this one?

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template