Monday, March 30, 2015

TBB: Cran-Raspberry Upside Down Cake


Cran-Raspberry Upside Down Cake 
with Raspberry Whipped Cream.



First make the caramel. 
I played with my new toy.. but I didn't trust it fully, so I used my thermapen to check to 360F. 



Mixed the eggs with a portion of the sour cream and vanilla extract.


Pour the caramel onto the pan and frozen cranberries on top. 


Mixed in the cake batter and baked directly on baking stone. 



OH NOoooo!!!  Cranberries burnt!!!! 
Maybe directly on baking stone too hot? 
Or my caramel too overcooked to begin with??! 
Threw into dustbin and bake again! 


REDO... the caramel again.
This time I cooked till only 300F and it's already on amber side.


Then I mixed in cranberries and cake batter.
Placed pan on baking sheet and onto the baking stone.
Used the baking sheet as heat barrier...

Sorry for lack of photos in between..because remaking a Q&E cake is extremely frustrating..! 

I had a hard time finding seedless raspberry preserves. 
I could only find the diabetic versions.. but this brand is quite good. Doesn't taste like diabetic.


Melt the jam into liquid to brush on top of cake.


Hot out from oven...


Now this is better isn't it? Not burnt anymore! 
Finally! 
But my frozen cranberries not all red as in the book though.



Peep inside the cake. 


I skipped the Raspberry Italian Meringue topping and replaced with Raspberry Whipped Cream...as suggested as variation.

The cranberries are on the tart side..but pairs very well with the cake and I like it.  However, I would have liked it more if it had more cake though. This is a very flat cake. I wished it had more cake..like at least an inch higher?  My family liked the cake too..but they weren't too impressed by it..my daughter prefers the apple upside down cake that I baked from Rose's Heavenly Cake Book.  

I was supposed to bring it for a gathering, but because I baked a whole lot of other stuff and I couldn't carry them all. Good thing I didn't because my husband had a hard time finding the place and he parked at the wrong car park and we had to walk quite a distance! 


11 comments:

Vicki on March 30, 2015 at 9:52 AM said...

What is the new toy? Your second cake looks delicious. I liked the cake part, too. Maybe make two layers, one with topping, one plain and put the whipped cream in between next time?!

Unknown on March 30, 2015 at 10:26 AM said...

Vicki,
What a good idea!

Vicki on March 30, 2015 at 10:29 AM said...

P.S. I used regular raspberry jam, heated it then strained it through a wire mesh. Too hard to find seedless raspberry preserves or jam.

Katya on March 30, 2015 at 10:45 AM said...

Two in a row is hard. But you are impressively driven.

Jenn on March 30, 2015 at 10:54 AM said...

Oh no it's burnt! You are so good to make another one.

I also love the Apple Upside Down Cake more. It's hard to beat cake with apples! :)

Unknown on March 30, 2015 at 11:07 PM said...

Good for you for redoing it! It looks amazing.

Unknown on March 31, 2015 at 2:33 AM said...

Faithy, Your finished cake looks luscious. It's funny you should say that you would have liked more cake because I thought the very same thing and then forgot about it. You're right I think. More cake would have offset the harshness of the cranberries, even if they had burnt a little. PS: I have the exact same oven mitt. Did you get it at Ikea?

Angie's Recipes on March 31, 2015 at 2:36 AM said...

I couldn't tell the first cake was burnt...how annoying that you had to threw it away :-(( The 2nd one looks perfect!

Milagritos on March 31, 2015 at 12:42 PM said...

You are such a hard worker! You made two cakes and barely complained about it. The cakes look beautiful, both of them! Cranberries can be such an acquired taste in a cake; I love how honest children can be when commenting on food!

orins goodies on April 1, 2015 at 10:28 PM said...

Your first cake looks exactly like my first cake, but good job on the effort to make it right. Your cake looks very good.

evil cake lady on April 3, 2015 at 11:09 AM said...

oh my, if i had seen a burnt cake like your first try, i might have sat down and cried. you are a trooper for baking another one! i too would have liked a higher cake.

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template