Monday, March 16, 2015

TBB: Sour Cherry Pie Day




Super Delicious Sour Cherry Pie. 
This is like the 3rd fruit pie I have ever made!


This time, I made the pastry using Rose's hand method.  I followed instruction exactly. 

Before I was pretty confused when I read the instructions. However, when I saw Joe Pastry blog post and step by step photos, suddenly everything made sense! Yay! :D  

I have to say that this is now my favorite pie crust recipe! It's the very BEST imo - so flaky and delicious! This is what pie crust should be - All Butter (no shortening!)  


Put the cold butter and cheese breadcrumbs into the bag


And roll with rolling pin. This is very fun! 
Except I feel like I wasted a ziploc bag.. expensive you know..ziploc bag use for only 30mins. 


I added the cream and cider and still very dry. Maybe my cream is not very liquid but thicker. So I added 2 tsp of Vodka.. cos American Test Kitchen says so.... :)  

Wrapped the dough into 2 separately and placed in freezer.

Friday night after work, about 8pm, I made the cherry filling using 2 jars of Morello cherries. I tasted one when I opened the jar, it was a bit tart and the water/syrup that it was soaked in wasn't very sweet. 

So I reduced sugar by 25g and also added some Griottines (which I think is Morello cherries soak in kirsch liquor).  While I was cooking, I found it on the thick side and I wasn't sure how thick/liquid it should be for pie filling..since this is my first time making it and plus I didn't use frozen or fresh cherries.. Raymond & Tony suggested that I should add a bit more juice..which I did.. And in the end, I had more pie filling (weight) than stated on recipe..since I didn't weigh the cherries with juice...and some Griottines juice too.





After I turned on the aircon - to get ready to roll my pastry. 

When my son found out I turned on the aircon, he came in with all his toys to keep me company in our tiny kitchen space. Very difficult to walk around with him on the floor like this....



I rolled the pastry to 12".... I had a 12" cake board underneath..so I can flip over to the pie plate.



Flipped over to the pie plate..and place into fridge to rest. 


Next, I took out the other dough and roll into the required size. 
I used my multi pasta cutter which I bought for cake decorating purposes...not so much for making pasta..

This way I don't have to measure 3/4"..how many pieces.. very headache esp. my son is occupying almost the whole kitchen floor and singing very loudly..and I had to be careful not to dust flour on his head! 




After cutting the lattice strips, I placed into the fridge to rest again. 
By then, my son was lying on the kitchen floor relaxing. 


1 hour later, scooped the cherries into the pie and did the decorative lattice work..and then I realised that I have to rest the pie again for at least 45 mins! Wahhhh..  (I wanted the pie to be ready for Saturday's Pi Day.. 3.14.15 :) 
So in the meantime, I got my son ready for bedtime.



45 mins later, cut a round foil and placed it around the sides. 
Sugared the hearts only.. and into the oven it went!


Ta-Da!!!  All baked! 
I'm glad only a bit of the juices flow out. :) 
Since it was almost 2am when the pie was done, I took it to my bedroom (again!) for it to cool down...so the stupid lizards will not have any chance at all to get close...



Initially I was worried my pie would be too dry, however, when I cut into in the next day, it was juicy and perfect, just the way I like it


See..how flaky Rose's pie crust is! I love it!
I'm a crust person..so crust is most important to me. :) 




This is the best pie I have ever eaten and now my favorite pie to date.. I considered it better than apple pie now! The addition of Griottines gave it the extra oommph...esp when I bite into one and taste the liquor. LOL! I didn't know cherries can be so delicious as filling..!  I gave my friend 2 slices and she said it was very good, perfect balance of sweetness and tartness. 

I love it so much I think I'm going to make it again this weekend for our Church gathering. :)  Good thing/food is meant to be shared isn't it? 







18 comments:

Patricia @ ButterYum on March 16, 2015 at 12:47 PM said...

We really liked this pie too. It was amazing. I love how your son took over the kitchen floor. My daughter did that once, only it was cold and she laid in front of the hot oven all wrapped up in a large blanket. I risked my life with every step. Kids - :).

Patricia @ ButterYum
http://www.butteryum.org/roses-alpha-bakers/2015/3/14/tbb-sour-cherry-pie-pi-day

Vicki on March 16, 2015 at 12:51 PM said...

Your son knows where all the fun is! Kitchen is the heart of the home when mother is there! Everyones pies look so much bigger than mine. I saw an ad on William Sonoma site today advertising Easter and there was a beautiful cherry pie baked in a 9 x 13 pan. I thought it a very good idea with Rose's recipe! Your pie looks so pretty. I'm going to look for those cherries you used.

Vicki on March 16, 2015 at 12:58 PM said...

P.S. Those zip lock bags can be washed and drip dried; I put them over something stuffed with a paper towel. Then I keep it in the freezer to re use for this. Drives me crazy to throw in recycle can after one use.

Angie's Recipes on March 16, 2015 at 5:12 PM said...

Faithy, you did an amazing job in creating this gorgeous cherry pie! I wish I could have a slice with my tea.

Unknown on March 17, 2015 at 12:10 AM said...

Isn't Joe Pastry the best? His blog is the best. AND that multi pasta cutter! That's a must have. I'm with you, this is my favourite pie to date, even though I didn't use sour cherries. I will when they are in season.

Vicki on March 17, 2015 at 2:47 AM said...

You are right about leaving greasiness even with lots of washing the zip lock bag. I better use permanent marker to indicate For Pie Dough Only and keep in freezer.

Mendy on March 17, 2015 at 8:14 AM said...

ב''ה

Woah! Pasta cutter for the pie is awesome!

I like your sons style. Get as many devices as possible and spread out near the one you love.

I almost added some kirsch. Maybe next time. I really liked this pie too.

Patricia @ ButterYum on March 17, 2015 at 11:29 AM said...

I forgot to mention - your idea of using the multi-wheel pasta cutter was pure genius!

Patricia @ ButterYum
http://www.butteryum.org/roses-alpha-bakers/2015/3/14/tbb-sour-cherry-pie-pi-day

Unknown on March 17, 2015 at 11:34 PM said...

Vodka, who knew. What a great story and I'm sure that the lizards would not have liked the pie.

orins goodies on March 18, 2015 at 6:56 AM said...

How lovely your pie looks, I absolutely love it. What a great job you did with making the dough by hand. Oh, and how genius is that roller!...Another thing to add to my shopping list.

evil cake lady on March 18, 2015 at 11:42 AM said...

beautiful pie! i love the pasta roller trick! and the griottines--i've never heard of them before but now i would like to try those in a sour cherry pie.

Alpha Baker Joan on March 18, 2015 at 2:21 PM said...

When I looked at this fab creation I loved it, then I looked closer, then I saw you refer to the decor as hearts - but the little hearts are made together to become the shape of a '4 leaf clover' and that is an Irish clover and symbol of luck of the Irish and is celebrated on 17 March - the day you baked it. How lucky is that! �� ���� ����������

Alpha Baker Joan on March 18, 2015 at 2:22 PM said...

When I looked at this fab creation I loved it, then I looked closer, then I saw you refer to the decor as hearts - but the little hearts are made together to become the shape of a '4 leaf clover' and that is an Irish clover and symbol of luck of the Irish and is celebrated on 17 March - the day you baked it. How lucky is that! �� ���� ����������

Unknown on March 19, 2015 at 12:38 AM said...

Faithy! Love your decor and now I have pasta cuter envy... all your strips are perfect.. so is your lattice top. What I did notice was your cherries filled up your pie plate.. mine did not (not a bad thing) but I had a moment of panic that I had not measure the filling correctly and I was short...

Alpha Baker Joan on March 19, 2015 at 2:06 AM said...

OOPS! I was wrong when I said your darling decor were Irish clover - Those are 3 petals not 4 - sorry. They are so pretty I got confused!

Milagritos on March 20, 2015 at 10:51 AM said...

What a gorgeous creation! The way you used your pasta cutter is brilliant, your stripes are so perfect. Loved the cut outs on the lattice work, beautiful!

Jenn on March 22, 2015 at 11:38 PM said...

Faithy, you are amazing! I can imagine how challenging it would be to maneuver in a small kitchen as it is and with your son around. You must be a very good and patient baker (no cussing like some of us!). Btw, is your kitchen cabinet red?!? It looks beautiful!

The pie also looks beautiful :).

Rosa V. on March 23, 2015 at 11:19 AM said...

thank you for stopping by and your cherry pie looks wonderful...

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template