Monday, April 13, 2015

TBB: Dattelkonfekkt (Passover)


I can't even pronounce this cookie properly. 
I think the name sounds rather intimidating. 


Firstly grind the slice almonds.. 



Then grind the dates with the almonds.  This I am not sure.
What are pitted dates? I got Medjoul Dates but perhaps it is not right because the recipe said 36 pieces but mine's only 12 pcs and was already 264g...without the seeds.


All blended together. 


= Backoblaten =
I learnt of a new thing! I never knew such a thing existed before this recipe! 
It keeps the base dry. 
Feels thicker than wafer paper..like double/triple thickness.


Mix in the meringue and this looks like macaron batter.


Pipe onto the Backoblaten at 15g.


All piped..


Waste not..scraping down the very last bit.. make at least 1 more! 


Out from oven after 15mins...looking quite puffy..but out of the oven they deflated while cooling. This happens to me with anything flourless... I suspect flourless anything has the tendency to absorb moisture in the air like magnet.
  
Also from my experience anything flourless has to be consume really quickly because the texture changes after the next day.  I once made flourless chocolate cookie and they tasted fantastic when they were hot but very different the next day...quite bad in fact that I had to throw them away! Such a waste! I told myself never to make any flourless cookies ever again with the exception of macarons.

I took a piece to try and it was soft and wet inside. 
 Tasted uncooked. Maybe the dates retains more moisture?
Macaron somehow tastes better even if the texture inside is soft. 


So I put it back into the oven and bake further till the surface crisp up.



Tasted better..at least it is chewy and still soft inside, most importantly not as raw-tasting anymore.
These cookies tasted best on the day when baked. Still good on the second day but not as good anymore on the 3rd day. They don't keep very well. 

I also found out that I don't really like these Medjoul Dates! Very sweet and mushy.  

Maybe I did something wrong along the way or used the wrong type of dates, because the cookies in the book looked fluffier and drier than mine after 15mins of baking. 

These cookies are so-so, not our favourite. 
To me they are OK, not bad but also not good.  








12 comments:

Mendy on April 13, 2015 at 10:02 AM said...

ב''ה

I also ended up re-baking these.

I love how yours look!

Michele at The Artful Oven on April 13, 2015 at 10:18 AM said...

Hi Faithy, they look beautiful and delicious! I love dates and I love almonds, so I am anxious to try them. Discouraging that they don't keep more than 2 days, though. Happy baking....

Anonymous said...

Hi Faithy, I too baked these twice (at least). I love how you tried to pronounce them. You are so good at using the proper ingredients and measuring everything...paid off, your meringues look great.

Angie's Recipes on April 13, 2015 at 4:17 PM said...

These surely look very tempting!

Nicola on April 13, 2015 at 9:22 PM said...

So neat! I think humidity is the bane of meringues...maybe that is why they didn't last so long.

Unknown on April 14, 2015 at 3:21 AM said...

Wow, they look wonderful. I can imagine what a bear the humidity can be. It just doesn't let up for you. You know, I thought they were best the day of, and diminished in flavour and texture as the days went on. So the back-oblaten are thicker than wafer paper? hhmm.

Vicki on April 14, 2015 at 7:30 AM said...

They are picture perfect! I don't know how you managed to make these in humidity, like angel food cake falling.

Vicki on April 14, 2015 at 7:31 AM said...

P.S. Thank you for the good thoughts for the baby. Keeping fingers crossed she comes home today.

orins goodies on April 15, 2015 at 10:29 AM said...

First, your cookies looking really good. But, i am sorry you didn't like them much.maybe next week cookies will make up for this ones.

evil cake lady on April 16, 2015 at 12:42 PM said...

yours look so perfect! so sorry they were not to your liking. i bet the humidity has something to do with their short shelf life and possibly why they were still mushy after 15 min?

Alpha Baker Joan on April 17, 2015 at 3:11 PM said...

These look perfect .beautiful. I would like some of those little baking rounds!
I was confused and went to the polish princess so I didn't taste these but yours just look divine!

Unknown on April 17, 2015 at 7:51 PM said...

Oh dear, sounds just like mine. So disappointing. I tried one of mine from the freezer the other day and it was even worse.

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template