Monday, April 27, 2015

TBB: Lemon Jammies


What can I say? 

These not just look good but they taste very good too.  Especially the Lemon Neoclassic Buttercream - so light and lemony.  Pairs perfectly with the lemon butter cookies.  

You can see I tried other pairings, like nutella and strawberry jam.  But nothing beats the lemon buttercream!! 

My husband said it taste better than store bought (Marks & 
Spencer) cookies, such big compliment!  

Not sure if lemon curd would top it but I doubt it would..I still think the lemon buttercream is the best!  My favorite cookie so far from The Baking Bible... 


Enough raving about these cookies..
here are the step by step photos..(I missed out taking some photos!)

After digging my cupboard, I found this! Never been used..so now is the time! 


As you can see I forgot to take photos of how I made the cookie dough..but here it is, all rested well 1 day in the fridge. 


Rolled and cut.. 
I had more cookies that the recipe said because I think my rounds were smaller. I placed the trays in the fridge for 5 mins to hardened the cookies up a bit before I bake them.. for 12-15mins. Smells really good when they are in the oven.. lovely lemony fragrant..


Time to make buttercream! 


And again..I missed out the steps..but in between, I boiled the sugar & cornsyrup..which is very sticky but it boils faster than sugar & water though.  And add the butter...and lemon juice etc. 

Here it is, Lemon Neoclassic Buttercream..




I sandwich with nutella and lemon buttercream. 
And later with strawberry jam.  

My helper was very concerned that I opened a new bottle of nutella and strawberry jam just for these few cookies. 

My helper: M'dm, you open so many bottles, who is going to finish eating them?  
Me:   Errr.. You?  Cos' you are the only one who eats breakfast & tea-break at home..
My helper: Ha?  Ok M'dm.. I will finish them slowly.. 
Me: lol!  




At first I was worried about that the cookies with buttercream won't last more than a day (as mentioned), but I placed the sandwich cookies in the fridge and they turned out great even after a day. 

However, I realised that the buttercream remains soft even refrigerated and melts very quickly, esp. in our climate.  I wished it would be a bit harder, like you would eat an oreo cookie with that sort of harder icing - so that when you take a bite, the icing won't sort of flow out from the sides. Right now, they flow out from the sides, and feels messy. Maybe it's just me feeling this way. Nevertheless, they are delicious cookies. 

The ones filled with nutella are ok because nutella hardens in the fridge. Jam filled ones are also ok, but too sweet for my liking. 




8 comments:

Vicki on April 27, 2015 at 11:38 AM said...

Such cute cookies, Faithy! What would make the buttercream more like Oreos, adding powdered sugar? Very lucky helper to work in your house I think!

Angie's Recipes on April 27, 2015 at 5:32 PM said...

They are just too adorable!

Unknown on April 27, 2015 at 8:56 PM said...

You have such a knack for making everything look extra special! Now I want to make these again and try the buttercream--it looks so perfect!

Jenn on April 28, 2015 at 12:17 AM said...

I love your conversation with your helper. I want to help finish the nutella too.

Your cookie cutters are adorable. I'm using a similar one but Easter-theme.

Unknown on April 28, 2015 at 10:07 PM said...

Faithy, Your photo is absolutely beautiful. The shapes and colors are so inviting. Just want to take one, especially the nutella one. I can see how these cookies cold would be a delicious texture. A very refreshing res-bit from the heat. Enjoyed your post.

Milagritos on April 29, 2015 at 7:04 AM said...

Hey Faithy! Enjoyed your conversation with helper, sounds familiar...these cookies were such a revelation.mi think they kept tasting better as the days progressed. I was able to leave mine on the kitchen counter but I used curd. Your enthusiasm helped convince me to try these cookies with the neoclassic cream!

Michele at The Artful Oven on April 30, 2015 at 4:17 AM said...

Faithy: They look beautiful! I was going to use my Linzer cutters but wouldn't you know I couldn't find them!! Glad you liked the buttercream. I will try that next time. They are delicious with lemon curd!

Anna at Simply Bake on April 30, 2015 at 2:06 PM said...

Faithy you are an incredible baker! Using Nutella was a fantastic idea. Love your photos. I agree that the buttercream was the best choice! Thanks for always stopping by my blog and all your words of encouragement. :)

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template