Monday, May 4, 2015

TBB: BlueRhu Pie


I finally got my Rose's Pie plate! Yay! :)  I really like the design and I had no problem releasing the pie from the plate. Some people commented saying that they had difficulty, I didn't have any. You can see from the pictures below that the crust on the sides automatically lift off by itself when cooked. 


I've never tasted Rhubarb so I am very keen to taste it.
I hunt high and low for rhubarb and managed to find 2 stores that had stock.
I made order for one store but saw another store had theirs in early so I bought it. So expensive at $12 for 3 stalks! Anyway, since I was eager to try, I paid for it anyway.  
My daughter said we have tasted Rhubarb before in Australia.. I can't remember though..(sign of me getting old....)

Many thanks to Catherine who taught me to remove the stringy part of the rhubarb like celery. Otherwise, I won't know how or what to do.  


I removed quite a lot because there was lots of stringy parts..no more red left! 


Next, macerate and then cook the BluRhu filling. 


Oh..the pastry..I figured, there is no need to take photos again because it's basically the same pastry we have been making. So I rolled the pastry onto my new pie plate. :) Wrapped it and let it relax in the fridge.


After fill with filling and roll another pastry above. 
I didn't want to do lattice design again..so I tried a different method..and
made a rose in the centre since I'm using Rose pie plate too. :) 
 Cover with foil around the sides. And bake for 30mins. 


Baked and out of oven. 
I think next time I should sugar the bottom crust before the rose on top..to make it look prettier. 


Couldn't wait to taste!  
So delicious! 
I love rhubarb! Taste so soft. Slightly tart but not as tart as cranberries.
It's so soft and translucent just like aloe vera to me! 
Usually I like more crust, but this time, I wished I had double the filing!


See the translucent rhubarb...hard to tell/see. 


Another slice the next day. The rhubarb on the tip..:)  



My family loves it. 
Esp. my husband, he kept saying it's very good for many times while eating! 
Even the next day, he said the same thing too.  LOL!

At least I found out I like rhubarb! :D

I packed some for my daughter to bring to her work place. Her colleagues are young people who work till 11pm almost every night and they can afford more calories..lol! They liked the pie. Only one didn't and said it tasted like vegetable..(I guess must be the rhubarb she was referring to..lol!). 

My helper helped me eat up the rest of the pie. She's not picky and often she says all my bakes are yummy except when you notice that she's not eating them..means they are not good..LOL!..like the Dattelkonfekt.  I'm glad to have a helper who can eat and not worry about getting fat. And she eats a lot of rice too. She says she has no energy if she doesn't eat rice. LOL! I think not just her.. most of us Asians are like that.. we must have our rice. :) 





11 comments:

Unknown on May 4, 2015 at 10:27 AM said...

Beautiful design Peggy Pegs! I'm so happy you were able to use your new Rose pie plate. Glad to hear everyone liked it except one 'Can't please everyone lol! GREAT JOB

Milagritos on May 4, 2015 at 11:51 AM said...

Beautiful pie, Faithy! I'm glad the rhubarb worked out for you after all the work hunting it down. When it comes to rice, we can eat like there is no tomorrow!

Vicki on May 4, 2015 at 11:56 AM said...

Your pie is spectacular! How did you do that? I'm so glad you like rhubarb. Honestly, I love plain rhubarb pie but this pie is so much better. Extra filling was so good over vanilla ice cream.

Angie's Recipes on May 5, 2015 at 12:14 AM said...

Your blueberry rhubarb pie looks amazingly delicious!

Jenn on May 5, 2015 at 11:07 AM said...

Faithy, your pie is so pretty! Love all the little hearts! I didn't remove any red stalks on mine - didn't know I have to do that. Thank for talking about it so I know what to do next time :).

orins goodies on May 5, 2015 at 11:22 AM said...

This is a first for me too, I never had Rhubarb, so i didn't peel the stalk...:-) but, it didn't seems to matter since the pie came out so good. I enjoyed reading through your post, and how cute your pie looks!

Mendy on May 6, 2015 at 8:16 AM said...

ב''ה

Great design! I especially love the picture with the ice-cream. What kind is it?

Unknown on May 6, 2015 at 7:42 PM said...

FAithy, you are a true artist. I love your work. I'm disappointed that you didn't tell us how you made the web design of your top pastry. Is it made with those bicycle wheel things? And if your helper cannot help you consume the calories, what good is she? Just kidding. How I'd love to have a helper. So happy to hear that you love rhubarb. It is a gorgeous vegetable. I only wish I could have shared my abundance with you. It would have been my pleasure.

Patricia @ ButterYum on May 8, 2015 at 12:57 PM said...

What a beautiful pie! I really like your rose accent. So glad you like the pie plate - it's pretty great. I've never had any trouble with crust sticking to it. Kind of looks like you used a lattice cutter for your top crust, but didn't pull it open after cutting. I love the effect.

Anna at Simply Bake on May 8, 2015 at 2:06 PM said...

Thanks for stopping by Simply Bake Faithy! Loved your pie crust. It is beautiful.

Unknown on May 14, 2015 at 8:52 PM said...

Thank goodness you liked it after all the effort you went to to find the rhubarb. The pie plate does make it look very pretty with the big curves. I need a helper to eat all the baking before I can!

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template