Monday, June 22, 2015

TBB: Double Damage Oblivion


It's very hard to find a chocolate cake that I don't like.  I hope it is not the hot weather that is influencing me lately.   It is really double damaged to me. 


Made the Chocolate Oblivion the day before.  Melt the chocolate & butter. 


Whipped the eggs. 


Fold in chocolate mixture


Water bake for 10mins.


All baked and out of oven.



 Make the chocolate cake layer.  
Cake technique is similar to the Polish Princess Cake. 


Oh..no..cake came out so flat?!?!  
How do I cut into 2 and make into a birthday cake for my helper?? 


So I had to make another layer again!
I don't like my layers both have a dome in the centre..


After the ganache is ready, time to assemble the cake.




I left some tiny ganache to do a crumb coat on the cake.


Next day, dusted powdered sugar/snow sugar on top
and placed some candles. My helper's birthday.



After singing happy birthday song and wishing her, she cut her cake.  Seems like the top cake has a higher dome..because I didn't press it down like I did for the bottom cake..lol!



The chocolate oblivion centre tasted like ganache...it wasn't something so different from ganache. In fact, it taste great and it is very rich like truffles - quite like Royce Nama Chocolate (my favorite is their champagne version)..very good on its own.. but only can have one or two pieces because it is very rich.  

Cake is quite like the polish princess cake. I'm not fond of this method of cake making. I find it a bit on the dense/dry texture. But the polish princess cake layer had lots of vodka syrup soaked, so the cake tasted moist and soft. This chocolate cake was not my favorite..and texture wise I can't quite pinpoint but I find like something is missing..maybe some liquored syrup? I actually would have preferred the German Chocolate Cake Layers in Rose's Heavenly Cake Book to be used in this cake.  The same German Chocolate Cake layers we used in Ice-Cream cake too..was the best..I still make the ice-cream cake from HCB once in a while. .  

So this cake tasted way too rich for me... like I needed a cup of milk to go with it to wash it down.  

But that could be my doing because the recipe only said 1 cake layer to be sliced into 2 layers..so the cake layers supposedly thin so that way it goes perfectly with the Oblivion I guess that was what the recipe was intended to be.

My daughter couldn't finish her slice. My helper said it is good but the next day she said she doesn't want to eat anymore. I guess she was worried she had to eat the whole cake since it is her birthday cake.   My husband ate a slice and didn't say anything.  

The next day, I ate 2 slices after lunch and stared at my 3/4 left over cake thinking what to do with it?! 


 I cut up the whole cake into pieces and then added 1/2 cup of Bourbon and made them into cake balls.  Wow..I think I know what was missing..Bourbon!! LOL!  The cake balls were really good.  My daughter liked it and brought all the cake balls to share with her colleagues.  




Next time if I do make this cake again, I will used bourbon syrup to soak the cake layers. :D  Smart or what? ..hahaha.. 




7 comments:

Vicki on June 22, 2015 at 10:25 AM said...

Are the cake balls coated in chocolate? They are so shiny. Adding the bourbon was great inspiration!

Unknown on June 22, 2015 at 12:36 PM said...

I'm loving your love of bourbon and chocolate since being apart of the alpha bakers :) Totally agree the cake would be great syruped, I didn't double mine but it's same result. Bourbon balls look fab… and "Smart or what?'…. Smart my dear! --- Jeniffer

Angie's Recipes on June 22, 2015 at 4:11 PM said...

That's a very clever idea! The layered cake looks very pretty, but those chocolate balls are my favourite.

Michele at The Artful Oven on June 23, 2015 at 2:24 AM said...

Hi Faithy: Well, you did a fabulous job! Mine is still in process. Love your ideas for "recycling" the cake into bourbon balls! You are nothing if not an innovative baker! Best wishes--Michele

orins goodies on June 23, 2015 at 12:04 PM said...

wow!! what a beautiful birthday cake you made.and i am going to make these bourbon balls too brilliant!! Happy Birthday!!

Mendy on June 24, 2015 at 10:43 PM said...

I like your description of the chocolate cakes. Bourbon is always what's missing. 😀

Rumbling Tummy on June 25, 2015 at 11:29 AM said...

Glad you didn't have to bin the cake and thought of this brilliant idea.

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template