Monday, July 13, 2015

TBB: Molasses Crumb Cakelets


These cakelets are so easy to put together.  No eggs or butter.  Totally vegan.  Lots of molasses. I couldn't find Grandma brand molasses (use to have here but now everywhere is just Rabbit brand molasses) so just make do with whatever that is selling here.  I think i scooped to much and instead of it being flat, it formed a dome ..  




Did I ever mention that I love eggs and butter? And flour too!  So when I saw this recipe had neither eggs or butter, I had my suspicion if it will turn out the way I like.  I never like those 'bread' without yeast..or muffins... but that could be that I have not come across a really good recipe or good bake.

I made 1/2 recipe.  I wished I had made 1/4 recipe!  These are only so-so. They don't taste bad but they also don't taste good enough to waste my calories on.  I took a bite and it's pretty sweet..then the next day, I tasted another bite and it tasted better the next day but still not my kind of cake.  Will not be baking these again...

Only my helper likes it and she ate all through the week. She mentioned it tasted better after a few days.  Maybe I didn't use Grandma's molasses..?    

Actually these look quite like our Chinese mini steamed colored rice cake.. eaten with shredded coconut and orange sugar.. and now I am craving for the rice cakes.. 




12 comments:

Angie's Recipes on July 13, 2015 at 10:34 AM said...

I love molasses! These cakelets look so adorable and I bet they taste just as great as they look!

Unknown on July 13, 2015 at 10:39 AM said...

Yours look so pretty! I wanted to like these more than I did. I'd rather have another piece of cheesecake--of course, a piece of cheesecake probably has about 100 more calories than one cakelet.

Lois B on July 13, 2015 at 11:01 AM said...

Lucky for your helper!

Unknown on July 13, 2015 at 11:03 AM said...

Oooo I like those steamed coloured rice cakes, only see them yum cha here. I love your cakelet rounded tops… they are so cute!! I kind of liked the "familiar" taste of childhood these evoked… but lol your love of "eggs and butter" noted :) Glad your helper liked them. ---- Jeniffer

Unknown on July 13, 2015 at 8:06 PM said...

I've just made these and I'm not too keen either Peggy. I just bought the only molasses I could find in the CBD and it might have been too dark. After reading Jeniffer and Vicki's posts I wish I'd used golden syrup. And I made the whole quantity! I don't know what I'm going to do with them. They do look quite cute.

Vicki on July 13, 2015 at 10:31 PM said...

I prefer how your's formed a dome! You know what made these much much better-cocoa powder! I made a mistake with the first batch and added cocoa powder because I thought the batter was too runny not realizing it was supposed to be that way. They were much tastier. Those rice cakes sound good. If you make with you please post with recipe?

Alpha Baker Joan on July 14, 2015 at 10:19 AM said...

Yes I kept thinking of things that would help me like them more .... Warm with butter and a dot of jam, etc. I guess we can't fall in love with everything - thank heaven!

evil cake lady on July 15, 2015 at 12:21 AM said...

they look so pretty, and ours domed too. i thought it was because it took so long for me to get them in the oven (all that weighing out of each muffin). to me, they taste a lot like brown sugar cakes. oh well, at least you could give them to your helper instead of throwing them out.

Milagritos on July 15, 2015 at 11:16 AM said...

I like your cakelets, very pretty. You are right about not wasting calories on the wrong things...funny girl! Now you also made me crave chinese sweets...

Rachel on July 16, 2015 at 7:46 AM said...

The look great!

Jenn on July 16, 2015 at 9:42 AM said...

At least your helper liked them so they don't go to waste like mine. I like the steam colored rice cakes too. Now I want some...

Michele at The Artful Oven on July 18, 2015 at 8:28 AM said...

Awesome photo, they look great! I really like them, but then I love molasses. I couldn't find light molasses, just regular old dark, Granny's stuff. Oh well, we bake onward, Faithy!

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template