Monday, July 27, 2015

TBB: MulBlueberry (ElderBlueberry) Pie

I can't find any Elderberries.. in fact I have not seen elderberries before. I was all prepared to just use cranberries and canned gooseberries but when I saw mulberries on sale at the supermarket, I decided to try with mulberries.  My first time tasting mulberries. They didn't taste very good raw though.  I think mulberries have to be cooked to taste good...cos it tasted great in the pie.   

I also made the Peach Galette at the same time, since it's the same pastry, might as well do 2 together - more time efficient. Also I could share the pies with everyone during our district fellowship meeting too. :)   I didn't get a single slice photo, so you can have a sneak peak at my slice peach pie...(ps: I wish it had more peaches.. so fellow bakers who like more fruits, do add more peaches when you make it).  


I mixed the  mulberries and a bit of frozen cranberries I had leftover from ...the cranberries upside-down cake, I think?  



After I cooked it down, I realised it seems dry after cooled, so I added another box (200g?) of frozen blueberries in it.. I was hoping to have blueberries intact.


Roll the pastry etc..  


Baked 


It is not easy to take a good pic under 5 seconds!! 
I didn't even manage to take any good photos. 


Surprisingly mulberry tasted very well with blueberries. I think the mulberries impart a very red color - not so much the cranberries? I really don't know. Somehow I can't see any blueberries..and the tartness from the mulberries makes you think the blueberries are cranberries.  When in fact I only put a handful of cranberries.  Mulberries were crunchy before but after baking, it became soft and not so raw-tasting.

We ate the pie with vanilla ice-cream. Everyone liked the pie. Probably it paired very well the the ice-cream.  And everyone came to my pie counter first for dessert instead of eating the main dishes. lol!  The pies were the centre of attraction.   

My daughter who ate a slice without the ice-cream said it was a bit on the tart side.  





11 comments:

Alpha Baker Joan on July 27, 2015 at 1:54 PM said...

Wow Faithy, I just don't know how you do it - they all look so fantastic. It took me two days to make the blueberry pie, and it is still cooling so haven't tasted it. I decided to leave the freeze-dried elderberries out since when I opened the bag they were very red mostly and Rose had said that red elderberries were not edible - So I just practiced making a blueberry pie.
Since I seldom have made any kind of pie it was a good practice and even made a mistake in the lattice - and didnt have the right sized pir protector and foil ring too late. It just too dark in places.
Love your darling little decorations on the top crusts, so cute!!!

Unknown on July 27, 2015 at 4:40 PM said...

Wonderful pie (and galette sneak peek) … speaks for your pies everyone came to your pie counter first!! I've used love hearts as well… your pie top decorations are pretty. Dang, I should have been "time efficient" and made the galette too! --- Jeniffer

anitsirK on July 27, 2015 at 6:54 PM said...

Your pie and the decorations are beautiful! It looks delicious, too!

Vicki on July 27, 2015 at 9:16 PM said...

You make the most beautiful pie crusts, Faithy! Glad the mulberries were tasty. The peach galette looks nice, too.

Michele at The Artful Oven on July 28, 2015 at 11:01 AM said...

Your pie is so beautiful, Faithy! I didn't know what mulberries looked like, I thought they were just a crayon color and not a real berry!! :-) I am going to be baking my pie tomorrow. Our peaches aren't in season yet, but you have my mouth watering....

Angie's Recipes on July 28, 2015 at 10:41 PM said...

What a pretty creation, Faithy! Those little hearts are really cute.

Unknown on July 29, 2015 at 6:51 AM said...

Pretty! Your crust came out much nicer than mine ;)

Unknown on July 30, 2015 at 7:16 PM said...

You're so industrious Peggy! I don't know how you find the energy to cook so many things and they all look perfect. I love your description of the confused berries - blueberries who think they're cranberries...

Rose Levy Beranbaum on July 30, 2015 at 9:59 PM said...

that was so inventive! and the pie looks beautiful. there used to be a mulberry bush by where we played tennis and when i got thirsty i would grab some as they are about the wateriest berry i've ever tasted though red caps are pretty watery too. so interesting that they would transform when cooked but that is the nature of all berries come to think of it. for ex. blueberries when raw need no sugar but when cooked absolutely do.

Mendy on July 31, 2015 at 9:37 PM said...

I'd love to try mulberries. You are inspiring me to try more designs on my pies.

Unknown on August 7, 2015 at 9:38 PM said...

Faithy, First, your pie decor is simply fantastic. I think you are truely artistic. You're inspiring to me. Second, when cranberries could be mulberries, but maybe blueberries are the cranberries, or the mulberries were possibly blueberries, I think you have a mullberry, cranberry blueberry pie. You're funny.

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template