Sunday, February 7, 2010

True Orange Genoise

Rose's Heavenly Cakes, Page 179: True Orange Genoise

Since i love anything orange and esp. the combo of chocolate and orange. I decided to bake this cake as my husband's birthday cake.  

I made the orange curd & ganache the night before.  I used Sunkist orange juice and reduced it by microwaving it as mentioned in the "Notes" (since it's impossible to find Seville oranges here in Singapore).  I have to say that i really like the orange curd! I had to refrain myself from eating the orange curd before i bake the cake!

I didn't know i had to make Beurre Noisette until last minute when i read the recipe! :P!  Heated the butter until the milk solids turn brown and pour it through a sieve. However, i realised that my sieve is not as fine as it should be since i can still see little brown dots in the butter.  Then i remembered i have this oil-filter paper which filters out every minute stuff...from the oil..


Packet of filter-papers - always a staple in my kitchen cabinet.


As you can see, after running the butter through the filter paper, the tiny tiny brown milk solids are "trapped" on the paper?  Amazing isn't it?  :)  


A tsp of vanilla added and covered with airtight lid. 

After making the beurre noisette, i forgot to take photos! So no more steps till the final cake! The Genoise sponge turned out well and as per instruction, i layered with orange curd and orange syrup.  Ta-Dah! Here's the cake..i didn't do much decoration as my husband didn't want a too elaborated cake. LOL!  So i just piped some white chocolate ganache that reads "happy birthday". 




Verdict: Everyone loved the cake. Of course my husband loved it! He said it is very good.  However, i think i brushed too much syrup since i find the cake a bit on the sweet side but still i do like it since i've always love chocolate & orange combo.  My colleague MH who has a (very) sweet tooth and an orange/chocolate lover said this is really good and she likes it a lot. She also mentioned that the cake sweetness is just right.

However, i really wished i had Seville oranges because i believe that using the Seville oranges probably does make a difference. Just like turbinado sugar vs brown sugar i think as in my earlier upside-down pineapple cake..



15 comments:

Lois B on February 6, 2010 at 11:24 PM said...

What a great looking photos - especially the slice of cake. I also made mine as a birthday cake. :)

Unknown on February 6, 2010 at 11:38 PM said...

I adore chocolate and orange together, it's one of my favourites. I hope he liked his cake!

lanier on February 7, 2010 at 5:38 AM said...

That looks delicious! Can't wait to finish and taste mine!

Mendy on February 7, 2010 at 7:28 AM said...

ב''ה

Looks great Faithy! Well done! :)

Shoshana on February 7, 2010 at 9:55 AM said...

Looks good. Glad to know that the regular orange substitution works well since the seville oranges were not easy to find.

ann low on February 7, 2010 at 10:14 AM said...

Very beautiful chocolate & orange cake!

Virginia Taylors on February 7, 2010 at 12:32 PM said...

What a perfect cake! You are an inspiration...can't wait to show you my finished product (if the curd makes it to the cake before I finish eating it!).

Hanaâ on February 7, 2010 at 1:08 PM said...

Great job, Faithy, and happy belated birthday to your hubby. I love the picture of cake slice. You can clearly see the beautiful layers!

faithy on February 7, 2010 at 3:47 PM said...

Thanks ladies for your lovely comments! Yes, the cake was delicious and no more left overs..all in the tummies..lol!..that shows how good it is! :)

faithy on February 7, 2010 at 3:47 PM said...

Opps..with the exception of Mendy who's a gentleman..! Thanks Mendy for your comments!

Jenn on February 9, 2010 at 10:18 PM said...

Faithy, I love your cake. It's very pretty! I love the decoration and the writing (I like the squiggly at the end of birthday :). Happy Birthday to your husband!

wafae on February 10, 2010 at 12:51 AM said...

Thanks for the comment, i love your cake too. it looks amazing. the slice looks perfect. I'm sure your hubby appreciated the great effort. Btw, I like you blogspot a lot.
Happy baking...

Nicola on February 10, 2010 at 4:09 PM said...

Those filters are amazing. I will have to keep a look out for something similar here.

Your cake looked great - fabulous height!! And really, homemade orange curd is always going to be fantastic.

Nicola on February 10, 2010 at 4:09 PM said...

Oh, and happy birthday Mr Faithy.

Tracy on February 10, 2010 at 10:55 PM said...

Mmm, they sound delicious! And I think they look cute. :-)

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template