Monday, April 19, 2010

Two Fat Cats Whoopie Pie

Rose's Heavenly Cakes, Page 373: Two Fat Cats Whoopie Pie

I have to confess..i've never heard of Whoopie Pies until i started baking and have never tasted it before...so i was wondering what's all the hype about.  I measured all ingredients properly and followed instructions but my whoopie pies turned out looking more like pancake pies..hahahaha..see..it melted into a flat puddle. I wonder if it is because i put a silicone baking sheet underneath hence the spread. But i really didn't want to dirty my nice shiny pans which i have managed to maintained it so shiny and clean even after more than a year of usage..lol!  So with a bit of batter left, i place the in cupcake-cups and baked it..i think it's better cos at least the batter doesn't spread. 


Disappointed that my pancakes..er..i mean whoopie pies looking so flat..i didn't feel like making the marshmallow cream anymore. So i just topped up the filling using ready made Jet-Puffed...and even the ready made marshmallow cream is not cooperating with me today..it 'melted' after 2 mins...i think it is because of our humid hot weather..



VERDICT:  I have to say the chocolate cake is really good. The chocolate is very intense and the cake texture is fluffy, moist and light. I like it but i don't really know how to eat it so i used a knife to cut it into slices like a cake..lol! Initially, my family gave me the "what's this" look..but in the end they still ate it and said it's good.. lol!  I'll probably bake this again in cupcakes since i do like the texture of the cake but definitely not as whoopie pies..cos i really don't get the novelty of it all.

PS: i think i read the instructions wrongly..lol! i see other HCB's pie are all bite sized and mine was like as huge as pancakes! i should have made 6 pies in total (top & bottom = 12 scoops) but instead i made only 3..(top and bottom = 6 scoops)..lol! No wonder i was wondering how to eat it like so huge..  But my batter was downright watery though..not like the cookie dough-like see others had..*strange*..

7 comments:

Vicki on April 19, 2010 at 1:43 PM said...

I loved the flavor of the cake, too. I think it's the combination of cocoa and buttermilk. I nearly filled mine with leftover raspberry mousse in the freezer. Next batch I will. I bet you could fill your's with some amazing fillings from your macarons.
Next batch I'm making them small like macarons.

Monica on April 20, 2010 at 8:15 AM said...

Faithy.. then we both must have read the same recipe, because mine also got flat, not as flat as yours, but looking around at the other bakers, theirs all seem to be puffed up and round and beautiful...

Mine.. were BLAH!

Of course even ugly there were eaten.. we are down to 3 over at my house.

HanaĆ¢ on April 21, 2010 at 10:52 AM said...

Your pancake comment made me laugh. Having big dessert means you won't need to eat seconds :o) They look pretty though! And they tasted good! :o)

Sarah, Maison Cupcake on April 22, 2010 at 10:11 PM said...

These look very tasty, I have only tried whoopie pies once so am not sure what they're really meant to be like. Yours look like massive oreos. I really want to make some soon.

Jamie on April 25, 2010 at 10:44 PM said...

Oof that's actually kind of funny but I have to say I wouldn't turn one of these babies down. Yum!

Unknown on April 27, 2010 at 9:14 PM said...

Wow these are lovely! The colors are gorgeous!

Terrianne, Call me Ree on June 26, 2010 at 2:11 AM said...

Whoopie pie's, Yum! Those are a staple here in New England. =)p

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template