Sunday, November 21, 2010

Chocolate Genoise with Peanut Butter Whipped Ganache



Rose's Heavenly Cakes, Page 184: Chocolate Genoise with Peanut Butter Whipped Ganache



Still longing for the peanut butter ice-cream i had in Melbourne, i was quite happy to see that this week's recipe has some peanut butter in it.  Usually, i don't like peanut butter on anything, but the peanut butter ice-cream gave me a whole new perspective.   

For the black raspberry syrup, i couldn't bring myself to use Chambord that i carried all the way back from my last trip.  If you have not seen the Chambord, the bottle is sooo cute that i just couldn't bring myself to open it. LOL! Thankfully, i have another black raspberry liquor which doesn't have a cute bottle.  I bought that first before i found Chambord.   

I placed both bottles side by side and contemplated for quite a while.. 
can you see why i can't open the Chambord? 


The chocolate genoise turned out great. I panicked when i saw the genoise shrank away from the sides while baking, and i quickly removed it from oven. Only then did i realised that Rose had mentioned in her book that when the cake is fully baked, it will shrink from the sides.  I panicked for nothing..lol!    

The chocolate genoise tasted delicious, or shall i say SUPER delicious on its own...i kept eating the top crust of the cake..while getting it ready for syrup brushing.  It's one of the best chocolate genoise i've ever tasted.  Super chocolatey and moist light crumbs. I used bleached flour and if i had used cake flour, i would think the genoise would be even more delicate.   Normally i'm not a fan of any syrup, but this black raspberry syrup is soo good, reminds me of Ribena. I grew up with Ribena and so did my kids...(and I'm still drinking it)...:p!   I brushed lots of the syrup onto the chocolate genoise, even though the genoise is pretty moist imo, but i still brushed quite a lot of it. 

Peanut Butter Whipped Ganache is pretty straight forward...and tasted really good too.  Not sure what percentage of chocolate i used cos the label faded away..but i know it's Valhorna Equatorial or something like that.    After it's whipped, the ganache feels very soft and not so easy to frost..but i managed to frost it quite neatly and with sharp edges..yay! :D.  Since i just got back, i did not have any strawberries or fruits in the fridge to decorate the cake with...i only had mini Oreos..lol!  I wanted to use Reese peanut butter cups but because of our hot weather, the peanut buttercups went out of shape. 



VERDICT:  WINNER! Super delicious!!  I was pleasantly surprised that the genoise didn't taste too wet or too moist after i brushed so much of the syrup in it. Also the syrup blends in very well with the chocolate genoise and enhanced the chocolate flavor imo.  Best chocolate genoise i've ever tasted.  Light & chocolatey.  Paired with the light whipped ganache, it's heavenly.   In fact, i think i would eat the genoise on it's own too!  And I see lots of possibilities i can do with this chocolate genoise base.   Everyone in my family loves it!  Guess what? My son too!  He ate a huge slice and I'm so happy! :D  



25 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks beautiful! Jeannette

Vicki on November 22, 2010 at 4:17 AM said...

Very pretty, Faithy! I wish I could find black raspberry liquor other than Chambord, which is so ridiculously expensive.

Lois B on November 22, 2010 at 4:22 AM said...

Beautiful, Faithy! I haven't frosted mine yet. I hope it turns out as well.

I think you should open your Chambord and just fill the bottle with something else when it's empty. I love to put a splash of Chambord in champagne.

Mendy on November 22, 2010 at 5:18 AM said...

ב''ה

Looks great Faithy! I also thought this was the most amazing chocolate genoise!

jkcurtis on November 22, 2010 at 8:22 AM said...

Since I am allergic to peanut butter I was planning to forego this one. But if the genoise is really that awesome I might have to try at least that part of it. Yours looks wonderful.

Jenn on November 22, 2010 at 9:49 AM said...

Ooo pretty! Great idea using oreo cookies. I'm glad everyone likes it!

Lois B on November 22, 2010 at 11:00 AM said...

Faithy, if you email me your address, I'll mail you some mesquite flour. I don't want you to think I'm generous, it's just a trick to learn your real name. lol

cocoa and coconut on November 22, 2010 at 11:01 AM said...

What an exquisite cake! I love how perfectly you've presented it.

Vicki on November 22, 2010 at 3:18 PM said...

I've never heard of Ribena but certainly am going to look for it now!

ann low on November 22, 2010 at 3:47 PM said...

Very beautiful! I must make this for coming Christmas but firstly I must get raspberry liqour or Chambord.

Sarah, Maison Cupcake on November 22, 2010 at 3:58 PM said...

Oh my! That looks fantastic! I wish I could stick my fork in right now. I love the vertical oreos!

evil cake lady on November 22, 2010 at 4:13 PM said...

that is a beautiful photo of your prefect slice! i love the mini oreo cookies. for a difficult ganache you made it look so lovely.

ann low on November 22, 2010 at 5:35 PM said...

Thanks Faithy :))

Angie's Recipes on November 22, 2010 at 10:01 PM said...

The cake looks awesome! Love the peanut butter ganache! How special!

Alpha Baker Joan on November 23, 2010 at 4:21 AM said...

WOW! Love love love this one, and lol at the precious little oreo wheels running around the edges. I know it was wonderful!

Hanaâ on November 23, 2010 at 11:14 AM said...

Hey welcome back!!!
Beautiful cake! Love the sharp edges and the mini oreos. The cake looks so moist. Now I really wish I had a chance to make this... snif!

SweetThingsTO on November 23, 2010 at 9:21 PM said...

decadently beautiful!

Barbara Bakes on November 24, 2010 at 9:23 AM said...

What a gorgeous cake! How wonderful that it tasted as great as it looked.

faithy on November 24, 2010 at 11:48 AM said...

Thank you everyone for your awesome comments! The best part was my son loves it and asked for second and third helpings! :D That' to me is a winner already!

Pei-Lin on November 26, 2010 at 8:17 AM said...

Faithy, choc and peanut butter is my fave flavor combo, which was acquired during my stay in the States! I can lick scoops of peanut butter off from the jar! There was once I downed close to half a jar of the FATTY stuff in one sitting! SCARY, eh?

Goodness, the liquor must be quite costly ... Wish I can use that, too ...

I once made peanut butter whipped ganache for my buche de noel back in the States. So good! Your cake looks darn good, reminding me so much of it!

maameemoomoo on November 26, 2010 at 10:46 PM said...

Sigh.

Can i have a slice please? U got me drooling!!

Psstt : are u baking anything this Sunday?!?! *wink*wink* MUahahahaha!

Cakewhiz on December 7, 2010 at 6:06 PM said...

That looks yummy!!!!

Patricia @ ButterYum on December 9, 2010 at 8:08 AM said...

Hi Faithy - I'm so impressed with all your kitchen goodies. You're so talented!

I have a tiny bottle of chambord that I don't want to open too. It's too cute!!

Talk to you later,
ButterYum

Unknown on December 10, 2010 at 7:13 PM said...

looks totally mouthwatering. Yumm

Jenn on December 14, 2010 at 8:43 AM said...

Faithy, I hope everything's okay. Haven't seen you post for a while and haven't heard from you.

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template