Monday, May 2, 2016

TBB: Crumpets (p. 433)

Weather has been very very hot lately.. it's getting hotter year by year. So I didn't feel like making these either.. I don't feel like standing by the stove actually...but I didn't have a electric griddle..so no choice.  

Here is the bubbly batter next to the pineapple and pomelo.


I took whatever ring I had.. I think it was too high..but I really can't be bothered to go searching for the other rings.. too hot and humid to want to do that..


Almost ready...  this is the last crumpet that looks decent enough..the rest I either burnt them or flipped them too soon and they lost all the bubbles.. 


You can see from the top, the first batch no bubbles...cos not enough heat. I find that the fire cannot be too low.
Then the 2nd row..the fire too big..and burnt the crumpets..
and the last row..just right.. but I ran out of batter.....


After that I was the only one who tried it plain as I was rushing out of the house almost immediately after making them... Nobody wants to eat them.. I think they are still in the fridge after 3 days...untouched..    Flavor wise is quite nice actually...chewy..  








3 comments:

Unknown on May 5, 2016 at 6:34 PM said...

I found these an exercise in patience too. I'm not very good at waiting, especially when something nice is cooking :) Those last two look great and I bet the others taste nice even if the holes are a bit covered up. Darwin weather has been awful too. It's been unbelievably hot without much rain at all for the 'wet season'. 1 May was the start of the dry season and we've had a couple of days of pouring tropical strength rain!

Vicki on May 5, 2016 at 11:11 PM said...

You got loads of holes on that last one! I didn't see the part in the recipe that after they cooled they were supposed to be toasted before eating until after I ate one. I'm too impatient with griddles so used the electric but my granddaughter is coming over today and she wants to make them so I'm doing to try one or two on griddle. I watched Paul Hollywood youtube making crumpets and my gosh he whisked the heck out the batter. He also put a ton of yeast in. It's just no fun baking and cooking when it's hot. Humidity really makes it worse for me.

Angie's Recipes on May 7, 2016 at 4:45 PM said...

I just love those gorgeous bubbles on top!
Hot and humid is the WORST combination. Stay cool and eat more crumpets, Faithy.

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template