Monday, November 7, 2016

TBB: Prune (Mango) Preserves and Caramel (Dulce De Leche) Cream Cake Roll (p105)

This is only half the roll...


Plums yes, Prunes no. I don't hate it in general, I can still eat them but given a choice, I would pick other dried fruits, like apricot or mango. Thus, I substituted the prunes with dried mango instead. The flavor is not so mango-rish, but more citrus-y.. maybe I added too much lemon juice! lol!  

I didn't follow the instructions in the book exactly for the sponge cake.  I saw on the photo that it's a very thin cake roll and I like my cake roll (we call it "Swiss Roll" here..) to be a bit thicker..and fluffier. So I added some oil and water making it more chiffon like... my pan is slightly smaller I think..so naturally it will come up a bit taller, I figured. 


Baked for 15mins and cool it upside down.


After cool, spread Mango preserves



I have a can of Dulce De Leche in fridge, so lazy me, just used this instead of making caramel. 


No photos of the whipped cream because somehow after I whipped the cream, it melted really quickly..so it was quite a mess trying to roll the cake with soft cream.  I ended up putting the whole cake roll in the freezer wrapped in cling wrap.  I rolled the cake length way..and maybe added the difficulty.. 

Below is the frozen cake. Quite good in fact..still soft in freezer and the cream taste like ice-cream...lol! 


Of course I added more vanilla ice cream on it.. and drizzle plain ganache which I had in fridge.  




My husband likes it a lot. The citrusy tangy mango preserves blends very well with the cream and ice-cream.  Perhaps next time if I make it again, I should just wrap it with ice-cream instead of whipped cream - just like the classic Artic Roll cake which I love.






3 comments:

Unknown on November 8, 2016 at 12:53 PM said...

I love the look of this … and the filling sound delicious!! Arctic rolls are so fun but could do with a bit of a makeover… waiting to see what you will do. :) ----Jeniffer

Angie's Recipes on November 8, 2016 at 4:47 PM said...

The cake roll looks bakery perfect, Faithy. I don't even need the filling..the cake alone is magnificent.

Vicki on November 8, 2016 at 11:48 PM said...

You got a perfect roll design! That combination sounds delicious. How much oil and water did you add? I like a thicker cake, too.

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template