Monday, May 3, 2010

Saint-Honore Trifle

Rose's Heavenly Cakes, Page 227: Saint-Honore Trifle

I had a hard time finding a trifle bowl..i thought of using my glass mixing bowl but decided  against it as the  gradual round up won't be easy to cut imo. So in the end, i finally opted to use a disposal plastic container instead..LOL!

Somehow this weekend, i was feeling quite lazy. Not sure if it is because i just recovered from stomach flu and feeling the lack of energy.  The recipe called for clarified butter..i was too lazy to clarify butter so i used the Ghee in my pantry instead.  Surprisingly the cake turned out quite well..:p  Also i didn't do spun sugar even when i had initially planned to do (i actually had my new whisk cut off for this purpose)...cos my very efficient domestic helper cleaned up my kitchen & stove so quickly and i didn't have the heart to mess it up again - we all know spun sugar can be messy and attract ants...


Instead of baking the cake in 9" round, i baked it in a jelly-roll pan for 10-15mins.  The cake turned out even and flat.  After this photo, i forgot to take anymore step-by-step photos..lol!..it's definitely not easy to take photos while baking at the same time... 

Cut the cake into 4 rectangles..and layered as instructed. I omitted the syrup since i didn't want a too sweet cake.  Somehow the top cake layer ended up too small for the container so i crumbled it and place it on top of the strawberries & chiboust cream.   The good thing about using this disposal air-tight container is that i can put the lid on and place it back in the fridge - locking in the moisture (i think).. :D!  Also good idea if i had to carry this cake off for a potluck dinner/party.  But definitely not as pretty though..would have been much prettier & classier if in a trifle bowl.

Er.... so now how do i cut this cake?!? LOL!  




Verdict: Since i wasn't sure how to cut this..i just used a large ladle to spoon the layers out.  The Chiboust Cream is to die for..yums! I could just eat the chiboust cream on it is own!  To me, this trifle tasted like the french version of strawberry shortcake (with genoise sponge cake & chantilly cream).  I love strawberry shortcake, so of course, this is delicious! Everyone in my family adores it..esp. my domestic helper..her fave so far cos it has loads of strawberries in it and her birthday is coming soon, so i might make this again for her birthday...:D 

29 comments:

Jenn on May 2, 2010 at 11:11 PM said...

Very pretty Faithy! Great idea using the container. I thought of using pyrex too but decided against it because it's too big. You'll see what I ended up using later :).

Angie's Recipes on May 3, 2010 at 12:35 AM said...

That looks very pretty!

Monica on May 3, 2010 at 2:34 AM said...

Ohhh even in its unconventional container it looks good!

I'm about ready to get my kitchen all messy with the sugar - wish me luck!

NancyB on May 3, 2010 at 3:01 AM said...

Oh, good idea on going square, and the results look great. I did the mixing bowl approach, and the slanted side were definitely a problem. :)

Vicki said...

Faithy it looks lovely! I love how you made the cake square. This container is actually a good idea for taking to office functions, etc. So glad you're feeling better. I wish I had a domestic helper to conquer the baking chaos. It's only me and I'm not very efficient!

Lois B on May 3, 2010 at 4:18 AM said...

It looks wonderful, Faithy, very creative substitution! I'm with your domestic helper; the flavors are wonderful together.

evil cake lady on May 3, 2010 at 5:33 AM said...

i love the idea of a portable trifle! well done and i'm glad you are feeling better.

Kathleen on May 3, 2010 at 5:57 AM said...

Am I missing something? Where is the recipe for this awesome looking Trifle?

faithy on May 3, 2010 at 9:41 AM said...

Thanks ladies for your lovely comments! :)

@Jenn & @Monica: I can't wait to read both of your post!! Hope you post soon!

@Nancy: That's what i thought soo..but i'm sure it still taste as yummy!

@Vicki: In S'pore, most of the families here have (foreign) domestic helper to help with housework esp. when both husband & wife work and no-one left at home to take care of kids.

@Lois, @Jennifer, @Angie: Thanks!

@K's: Thanks, no recipe posted as we are not allowed to post Rose's recipes and the recipe is too long to type it all out..a lot of pages...

Unknown on May 3, 2010 at 9:46 AM said...

this is looks and sounds delicious. I love layered desserts like this.
Perfect treat for lazy afternoon.
yum yum
it made me smile that you used your plastic container..one time I used one of those for my banana in chocolate dessert. They seem to be more versatile than I thought.
Thank you for sharing.

Jill @ Jillicious Discoveries on May 3, 2010 at 11:06 AM said...

I love how creative you were with your container! Your trifle looks very delicious! :)

Mendy on May 4, 2010 at 9:02 AM said...

ב''ה

Isn't the pastry cream wonderful? :)

Only you could put this in a pyrex and make it look fantastic! Well done!

Alpha Baker Joan on May 4, 2010 at 1:27 PM said...

Great look - very creative idea! joan

SweetThingsTO on May 4, 2010 at 8:56 PM said...

I love love love trifle! Yours looks amazing whatever container it is in. yum!

Tracy on May 5, 2010 at 9:50 PM said...

Mmm, yum and so pretty!

Juliana on May 5, 2010 at 10:53 PM said...

Wow, this look so yummie, like the layers and the convenience of the container...

Pei-Lin on May 6, 2010 at 8:18 PM said...

I was SO, SO happy to see the title of this post! I've heard so much about Saint Honore-related desserts ... But, I'm kinda surprised there isn't any mention the use of rose in the dessert. (Well, but rose is indeed expensive thing here.) ... Actually, I've got a recipe for something Saint-Honore. But, its base is made with pate a choux instead.

Maybe I'll try look around and see if I can play with the recipe ... Would you mind sharing the chiboust cream recipe?

Btw, no worries. I don't have a trifle bowl either! Hahaha! I love the frugality you've shown here!

Patricia @ ButterYum on May 6, 2010 at 9:13 PM said...

Faithy - What a wonderful interpretation of the recipe!!! I had really thought I'd be joining the group this week, but it didn't work out for me. :(...

Lisa on May 7, 2010 at 6:47 AM said...

Faithy - I loved the idea of this Trifle and have been ogling the picture since I first opened the book! BUT, I didn't have the bowl and had no idea how to store it. Your tips are GREAT! I think I'll be making this in plastic and carrying it straight to work! What size did you use?

faithy on May 7, 2010 at 9:27 PM said...

@Butteryum: Thanks Pat! Hope you can join us soon! We have been missing you!

@Lisa: the measurement for my container is w:7.5" x l:8.5" x h:5.6". HTH! :)

faithy on May 7, 2010 at 9:35 PM said...

Thank you all for dropping by and leaving me your wonderfully kind comments! :)

Nicola on May 8, 2010 at 3:53 AM said...

What a fantastically creative version of the trifle. I can't wait to make it!

Y on May 8, 2010 at 7:01 AM said...

Mmmmm I need to write myself a reminder to try that chiboust some time!

Monica on May 11, 2010 at 9:09 AM said...

Ok.. Seriously HOW CUTE IS THAT? I want one!!!!

Monica on May 11, 2010 at 9:11 AM said...

and I must have had lots of butter in my head, since this comment was meant for your lastest poste on the car cake - DUG!

Alpha Baker Joan on May 13, 2010 at 5:29 AM said...

The first thing I thought when I saw your post was Wow! that would be fabulous on a picnic! Ingenious to do it in a container like that and have it look so good.
I'm about to tackle it tomorrow - you give me incentive. : )

Anonymous said...

French Strawberry shortcake!! It looks absolutely divine, and I love trifle. Its becoming harder to visit your blog because I get such wild dessert cravings!:)

(Hope you are feeling better.)

Sinful Southern Sweets on May 16, 2010 at 5:29 PM said...

You are so talented. And I am so jealous! I totally bombed on a cake I did yesterday. Torn fondant, couldn't get the thing to look straight, icing bulge around the 2 layers. You name it, it went wrong! Just seemed like a mess. Yours is totally beautiful!!

Hearts and Hands on October 8, 2010 at 1:25 AM said...

Hi Faithy, I have been following your blog and really enjoy seeing your creations. I often bake my 9 inch sponges 1 pan at a time cos once I tried putting 2 pans in the texture turned out coarser than usual, even though i staggered the pans. I used the conventional, not convectional setting. I am wondering if you put 2 pans in at the same time, or have to bake them one pan at a time. Thanks for any help you can offer!

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template