Monday, May 31, 2010

Free Choice: Rose Red Velvet Cake




Rose's Heavenly Cakes, page 83: Rose Red Velvet Cake

After looking at the beautiful and gorgeous wedding cake that Rose & Woody baked for Sarah (Marie's daughter) & James' wedding, i knew i had to try Rose's red velvet cake.  I planned to bake the red velvet cake & bernachon palet d'or gateau that i've missed last week since Friday is a public holiday and i have 3 days of long weekend.  However, i woke up on Friday and couldn't move my head at all..  Quite scary not being able to move my head up/down/left/right and having upper body pain from neck downwards. No clinic available since it was public holiday, unless i check into A&E..which i didn't think it was that urgent.  My friend Angie told me to take muscle-relaxer which she said might help..i searched and found expired ones but since desperate, i took it anyway with painkillers.  :S

Thankfully i felt much better on Sunday (..at least i can move my head not at 90-degrees but at least 45-degrees..lol! ) so i decided to bake just Rose Red Velvet Cake with the Lacquer Glaze on page 109 - also as a birthday cake for my domestic helper too.  Since i don't have a heart shape pan, i baked in 2x 6"round pans.  Instructions pretty easy to follow and even mixing is rather straight forward.  Felt a bit hesitant when pouring the entire bottle of red food coloring into the egg mixture...i had to close both eyes when doing that..lol!  Baked the cake for around 25mins.  White chocolate frosting is quite straight forward too but the only thing was i had to frost my cake with the cake in the fridge cos it kept melting.  The weather has been really hot (32-35c) lately..everything just melts the moment it is out from the fridge in no less than 5-mins. So i couldn't frost very well..i think my cake leaned sidewards a bit because of how i frosted it in fridge and also the frosting was too soft...lol! And me being lazy and wanted to save energy, didn't want to turn on air-con for just 10mins.  After the frosting on the cake has hardened in the fridge, i heated up the lacquer glaze (which was prepared earlier) and poured it over the cake..however, i think i didn't heat it enough cos the consistency was still a bit too thick but i used a spatula to even it out. I tried to copy the decoration that Rose did but the heart shaped fondant kept sliding down the glaze and doesn't stay in place. I wonder why.. perhaps it is the condensation on the glaze that causes the fondant heart accents to slide downwards. *shrugs*  I got quite fed-up with the sliding hearts... so i just took them down and then placed raspberries all over instead. 

VERDICT:   I'm surprised that red velvet cake is sooo tasty and delicious! I always read bad reviews about red velvet cake being dry etc..and the last red velvet cake i made (using strawberry juice) wasn't even impressive. But this, is awesome! I forgotten about the red coloring the moment i took a bite of the cake.  It's soft, moist, crumb is dense and yet delicate.  Yummy!  The white chocolate frosting blends in very well with the cake too..except i think maybe i put in too little frosting..looks like a lot when i frosted though..like it shrank..lol!  Of course the birthday girl loves it..she said it's delicious and very happy with her cake. My daughter and my husband said it is yummy too!  Definitely a keeper and i love how pretty the cake look inside..so red and so pretty! :D  

I brought some to office today (yup, my neck is 90% well now..only cant tilt my head backwards too much..:p) - both my boss and colleagues said it's delicious! :)  I think red velvet cake is meant to be shared with lots of people cos you don't want to eat the entire cake on your own with so much red food coloring..lol! 




I just love how red the cake looks inside! It's soo beautiful, isn't it? :D

27 comments:

Unknown on May 30, 2010 at 10:54 PM said...

After reading your VERDICT I think I have to try this recipe. It sounds super delicious and I LOVE the appearance.
Have a wonderful day.

Mendy on May 31, 2010 at 12:00 AM said...

ב''ה

Wow! Looks awesome!

Frosting the cake in the fridge. That's a trip.

What kind of buttercream did you use?

ann low on May 31, 2010 at 1:08 AM said...

WOW! This looks so stunning!

evil cake lady on May 31, 2010 at 2:09 AM said...

your cake looks so beautiful! just like a mini version of sarah's wedding cake.

Vicki on May 31, 2010 at 3:10 AM said...

Faithy, it's fantastic! I can't believe you did this while feeling less than well. It looks like Rose and Woody's wedding cake.

NancyB on May 31, 2010 at 3:40 AM said...

Beautiful cake--I have a feeling a lot of us are making notes to finish off the Red Velvet Cake with Lacquer Glaze. [g]

I made the Red Velvet a while back, and my memory is that I too wanted more frosting for a fully frosted cake, instead of just piling it on top as in the picture.

FOODESSA on May 31, 2010 at 4:44 AM said...

I think there are two reasons this cake met to your satisfaction: first off...you got the recipe from Rose...one of the most experienced cake bakers I know of...and second...your passionate dedication to the art of baking has made it a great success!
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Flavourful wishes, Claudia

Dhanya Ganesh on May 31, 2010 at 9:56 AM said...

Red velvet cake looks moist and nice texture.

gartblue on May 31, 2010 at 10:36 AM said...

stunningly done!

faithy, I am green with envy. you've completely changed my stand on red velvet. I always thought of it as eating tubs of red colouring but Rose's wedding cake version and yours just begged for me to try it. soon!

kudos, babe!

faithy on May 31, 2010 at 3:56 PM said...

Thank you all for dropping by and leaving me such wonderful comments. Thanks!

@Mendy: I used the dreamy white chocolate frosting in the book. :)

Jane on May 31, 2010 at 8:49 PM said...

Faithy, this is a GREAT looking red velvet cake! I have never made one, and I can't imagine that part where you have to dump in a whole bottle of cheap red food coloring (I just don't know if I could do it; I'd have to close my eyes, too, just like you did!). You did a fantastic job with the icing and the glaze--really beautiful. I can imagine how challenging it was to ice and glaze, what with the super hot weather. It just looks gorgeous, though, and delicious. One of these days I must try making this. I do have Rose's book . . .

:) Jane

Monica on May 31, 2010 at 9:58 PM said...

Oh wow... it looks like the wedding cake! And you had me laughing out loud with your post. Hope you are feeling better... and you had some time to relax over the long weekend. I'm back and baking today... will post my choice tonight ;)

Nicola on June 1, 2010 at 2:45 AM said...

Your little cake looks quite incredible. The raspberry's contrasting with the red interior are great.

Stunning.

And thanks be for muscle relaxants! In or out of date!!

Jenn on June 1, 2010 at 9:04 AM said...

Faithy, it is so funny how we both did the red velvet. I thought of doing the lacquer glaze too but changed my mind because I want to pipe roses. Your cake is very pretty. I love how high it is and the glaze looks so shiny.

Vicki on June 2, 2010 at 12:18 AM said...

Faithy, have a look what Ginger Elizabeth Chocolates are doing with macarons for summer. Click on the "frozen treats".

http://gingerelizabeth.com/

Lynnette on June 2, 2010 at 1:23 AM said...

Beautiful shade of rd! Just Strawberry juice? How much?

Barbara Bakes on June 2, 2010 at 8:44 AM said...

It is sooooo beautiful. Such a great color and the white really sets it off.

Juliana on June 2, 2010 at 9:53 AM said...

Wow, I always like red velvet cake...this one sure looks gorgeous...lovely decorated :-)

Svetlana on June 2, 2010 at 3:01 PM said...

Fantastic I really love your cake I think Im going to make my own in the next week. By the way what the reason to use only red color in this cake?

faithy on June 2, 2010 at 3:45 PM said...

Thanks ladies!

@Lynnette: the strawberry juice doesn't really work imo but if you are keen search for the recipe at Tartlette's site. but Rose gave another way of coloring using beet juice which Jenn made it that way. Looks great too!

@Svetlana: I guess red color cos it's call red-velvet cake? I think irrc, i read somewhere that said originally i was made with beet juice and hence the red color..*shrugs*..have to google more to find out..lol!

Mary Bergfeld on June 2, 2010 at 10:51 PM said...

This really looks amazing. I came on your blog by chance and had planned only to say hello and then leave quickly. I, instead, began reading your prior posts ans stayed far longer than I had intended. I really love all that your are doing here and will be back as often as I can. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Jordan on June 3, 2010 at 9:46 PM said...

Yum! That cake looks delicious!

Love your blog!

-Jordan

maameemoomoo on June 4, 2010 at 3:55 PM said...

so vivid your red, faithy!

contrast beautifully against your white cream and dark choc ganache.. makes me wanna give red velvet cake another go :)

Mary Bergfeld on June 4, 2010 at 10:13 PM said...

I'm just jumping back in to thank you for your birthday wishes. Hugs...Mary

Unknown on June 7, 2010 at 5:00 AM said...

wow you're such a professional baker!! I didn't even know which post to comment on because they're alll so amazing!! I'm definitely following you!!
keep it coming, you're amazing
page

Y on June 7, 2010 at 6:34 PM said...

Wow, check out that amazing colour! I'm not usually fan of red velvet cakes, though I've made a couple before and they're usually fairly moist.

Pei-Lin on June 7, 2010 at 7:43 PM said...

Gosh! So vividly red! I'm drooling just by sucking up your description here ... Maybe I DO need to get one copy of Beranbaum's book ...

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template