Monday, May 25, 2015

TBB: Stilton Baby Blue Cheesecakes

I think I have an acute sense of smell, or heightened sense of smell. I can smell everything from a distance.  So this week's baking with blue cheese worried me a little.  Blue cheese is known for it's pungent smell.  I can't even tolerate strong perfumes, they make me feel dizzy and nausea. I forbid my mom to wear perfume when she goes out with me..esp. when we have to be seated next to each other in enclosed area like in a car.  

However durians smell equally bad but I still like to eat durians. Perhaps it is an acquired taste?  I just need to get used to the smell? Then again, I don't like durian after-smell..it last forever even on your hands and when you burp.  Now that I have tasted blue-cheese,  it smells like smelly tofu. 

Chatted on FB with other fellow Alpha Bakers, I learnt a lot more about blue cheese and their green/blue veins...and pasteurised and unpasteurised makes difference to the smell too. 


Finally, I saw a tiny piece of Blue Stilton (actually looks green to me!) for sale and I thought for $6.90, I can take a chance to try it out.  Also I found out I have a few friends who loves Stilton. Well, I can make and give to them too for taste testing! :D  


Toast the walnuts and grind coarsely..


Place 1 Tbsp in cupcake cups. 
I decided to use these cups for easy handling. 
I baked 2x recipe so I can use up all the Stilton Cheese. 



Mix the Stilton with Sour Cream.  
The sour cream (import from Australia) is very thick & creamy..just like the heavy cream.
Very thick and creamy.. thicker than Greek yogurt texture. 


Blend the mixture till smooth.


Then it became quite liquid after I add the eggs, even though I didn't over-mix. 
Surely doesn't look like sour cream texture to me! The cream cheese above looks more like sour cream to me.


Pour/Measure into cups.


All Ready to be baked...Oh..I have left over Stilton so I put all into the batter for strong flavor..didn't taste very strong with the cream cheese mixture.  Oh..yes, I was brave enough to try some Stilton with slice of bread. Not bad actually, taste good except for the smell takes a bit of getting use to. 


All Baked!! When I opened the oven door, the smell hit me without warning!  It was like WOW - what was that?!  It smell stronger after baked. 


Put in disposable containers and into fridge. 
Easier for storage in fridge and transport as give aways to my taste testers. :)


After 4 hours later. Cut the case and peel off sides 


Lift and place on plate.


Sliced a ripe pear to go with it. 


Verdict:  Taste very good. Rich and Creamy.  But I can still smell the Stilton. It aint' going away just because I thought it has been diluted with lots of cream cheese.  This is not something I can eat everyday.  Only for special occasion like Mother's Day.  

My daughter and helper felt the same too.  And we never had any blue cheese of any kind before. Only Rose's desserts we are willing to go the extra-mile. :)  That said, I think my helper secretly like blue-cheese because she is willing to eat my husband's share.. when I asked her "you want this last one?" And she said "Yes" without hesitation. Before she was like "eww..So smelly!" lol!

Of course my husband stayed far away as possible...he was hiding in the room when we ate our share.  

One complain though.. I don't like the green color!! I should bought blue vein cheese instead of green. Or maybe I should use White Stilton next time..cos I saw the white ones yesterday at the same supermarket that I bought this green one. The blue/green Stilton sold out and they brought in the white Stilton..very white and pretty!  I wonder if they taste the same? Blue vs White? What's the difference? 

Comments from my friends who love cheese.. 

Ms Ratty  - "I tried it, it's so nice! Yes the smell makes you hold back for 1 second, but once you dig in it's creamy and rich and flavourful! Thanks much!"

Ms I - "The cheesecake is very delicious. It is heavenly. I didn't find it smelly."

Ms A - "The cheesecake is very yummy. The Stilton taste is there but not overwhelming.. Really good! The smell is definitely less after it is chilled". (I gave to her when cakes still warm)

Mr MB - "Tried the cheesecake. Creamy and indulgent. Really like the base too. I'm not 100% sure about the blue, but something different and enjoyed it. Even my friend who doesn't eat blue cheese finished one! BTW was good with a glass of wine :)"

Design Office - My daughter reported back that her colleagues enjoyed it very much. And everyone said it was rich and creamy and very good.  They asked her when is my next bake... LOL!  






10 comments:

Unknown on May 25, 2015 at 10:02 AM said...

I love it that you doubled a recipe you didn't think you'd like! I've never heard of white Stilton, but I think you're right--it would look prettier. I've gotten used to the idea of eating mold in blue cheese, but moldy cheesecakes seem off-putting.

Unknown on May 25, 2015 at 10:39 AM said...

Wonderful post Peggy Pegs! I've never seen that green color in Stilton. Mine is white with blue veins. The green almost makes your eyes think it's an avocado cheesecake instead. Oh my, now my creative, chef brain has been activated. ...
Very brave of you to double the recipe!

Vicki on May 25, 2015 at 11:38 AM said...

What a great idea to use the cups and look at the pretty design on the side! I have a feeling different Stilton brands are stronger than others. I could go taste test at Whole Foods but there is no way! I would love to find some of that Australian sour cream.

Rose Levy Beranbaum on May 25, 2015 at 12:19 PM said...

Your are one courageous and open to possibilities person! Fascinating responses.

Unknown on May 25, 2015 at 12:43 PM said...

Ha ha I'm proud you tried some stilton on bread! I loved the cheesecakes :) Your post puts mine to shame… I have to take more photos/better instructions. Love the taste testers experiences too.

Unknown on May 25, 2015 at 6:36 PM said...

Wow this was an unqualified success at your place. Who would have thought after all that worry about the blue cheese. They look great even when they're green :)

Angie's Recipes on May 25, 2015 at 9:26 PM said...

Using blue cheese in cheesecake is a genius! I would love to taste one too.

Unknown on May 25, 2015 at 10:49 PM said...

Blue cheese to you is equivalent to liver for me. Oh boy, I run in the other direction when liver is in the same room as me. That being said, you're a trooper for your efforts, and I always admire a brave soul. I have to say your quotes rounded out your post. I could tell that you were having difficulty being objective. Beautiful post, as always Faithy.

orins goodies on May 27, 2015 at 2:42 PM said...

you are such a champs, always on top of things, and doubling recipes...all i can say wow!! and yeah your cute little cheese cakes look real good.

Milagritos on May 27, 2015 at 4:39 PM said...

Fantastic job despite not liking blue cheese...you are a champ! I can't believe you made a double batch, you are so good to your friends! It takes quite a while to get used to the taste of blue cheese. It's a bit like durian, you have to persevere! By the way, I'm still working on the durian issue...

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template