Thursday, August 5, 2010

Butter Cake (Oily)


I was hunting around for a local flavored butter cake, that is suppose to be very oily and buttery (and not dense like pound cake).  My sis-in-law said she loves rich buttery cake and i thought since her birthday is coming up, i thought i'll bake her something that she'll like. But first i needed to find the correct butter cake recipe!  The past recipes i've tried were either too eggy or too pound cake like.  I wanted something light and yet buttery & oily (that's the type of butter cake she requested for!) without an over-powering egg taste, ie the main note should be Butter...

FINALLY i found the type of butter cake i was looking for!   I googled and stumbled upon this blog Food 4 Tots and her recipe on Basic Butter Cake looked so good.  Recipe looked easy enough and i figured, why not just give it a go. I tried it and true enough, it's really oily and buttery and light too. What thrills me the most is the top stayed rather level and didn't crack or had a volcano top as with all butter cakes i've tried.  

By far the best butter cake i've encountered so far.  Definitely a keeper!


11 comments:

Food For Tots on August 6, 2010 at 12:02 AM said...

Glad the cake suits your palate. Hope your sis-in-law will like it. Happy Birthday to her(in advance)!

MaryMoh on August 6, 2010 at 12:16 AM said...

Beautiful butter cake. I bet your sister-in-law brightened up with big smiles!! I would love to try it out, too.

Angie's Recipes on August 6, 2010 at 12:18 AM said...

That butter cake looks very moist and still very soft and light.

ann low on August 6, 2010 at 12:28 AM said...

That looks buttery and oily exactly same as the olden days.

Vicki on August 6, 2010 at 12:53 AM said...

This looks and sounds wonderful. Nice and light. I can see this as being so good with summer fruit on top.

faithy on August 6, 2010 at 9:20 AM said...

Thanks Food for Tots for sharing this recipe. This is the recipe i think my sil would like and she has this fond memory of the old fashion buttercakes in mind..hahaha..

Thanks Mary! I hope so!

Thanks Angie! Yes..very soft, light but very oily..lol!

Thanks Anncoo! Yes..it is like the olden days..are we all THAT old? LOL!

Thanks Vicki! I never thought of it, but you're right, sounds wonderful with summer fruit on top!

cocoa and coconut on August 6, 2010 at 8:48 PM said...

I guess it's hard to achieve that perfect balance without getting a gluggy/heavy cake. So well done! I think that credit is due to you for researching and figuring out a good recipe when you find it :)

maameemoomoo on August 8, 2010 at 9:22 AM said...

I am gonna try this!! *butter cake lover here* :P

Thanks faithy for sharing!

Sanjeeta kk on August 18, 2010 at 3:49 PM said...

Nice to be here. The cake looks soft and supple . Must try it soon. Best wishes.

Jamie on August 19, 2010 at 1:15 AM said...

It looks perfect! This is the kind of cake you find in France and one my husband loves! Thanks for the link to the recipe (and for trying it out for us!).

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I will have to give it a try! I'm always on the lookout for great recipes, and I have a good feeling about this one.

I seriously love your blog!!!!

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template