Sunday, August 1, 2010

Lemon Meringue Cake


Rose's Heavenly Cakes, Page 250: Lemon Meringue Cake

While reading the recipe, i noticed that the photo of the cake part is very thin, ie it looked rather flat to me with loads of meringue topping.  I decided then that i would prefer slightly more cake than that thin flat looking cake in the photo.  Hence i baked my sponge in 2 x 8" instead of what the recipe called for, ie 2 x 9".  

However, to my alarm, my 8" sponge cake turned out really high!! Each layer is about 2.5 - 3 inches high.  I had enough height to layer the sponge into 2 quite comfortably.  So in the end i had plenty of cake ..lol..a bit too much..hahaha.  Some photos can be so deceiving!  

I made a few mistakes in this recipe..while making the syrup, i poured all the lemon juice into the sugar syrup instead..then the meringue part, too.. i didn't save the part of the sugar or part of the lemon juice  for the second half of the recipe..:p  This cake reminded me of the other lemon cake, i think was 'Woody's Lemon Cake" where i also made some mistakes..lol!..and both cakes have lemon curd!

I had a hard time frosting the meringue onto the cake cos it feels different from buttercream, so sticky..like all lump together. Not sure if it is because i over-beat the meringue..but it was so sticky. My first time frosting with meringue.  And i realised that since my cake is so tall, i can't frost too high either, cos i can't place it in the fridge after. My fridge doesn't have that height to accommodate it. I piped out some shapes etc..cos i can't get it level it nicely..cos it kept sticking to the spatula. 




Verdict:  I find this cake tasted similar to the other lemon cake we made a while back because of the presence of lemon curd.  And i do find it a bit too sweet and i've already half the syrup. But maybe it's also my doing, since i layered it so high...i should have gone with my initial instinct to just make 2 individual 8" cakes instead.   My husband likes the sour taste of the lemon curd and think has great flavor.  My daughter didn't like it cos she finds the lemon curd too sour.  I find overall the cake is a little bit sweet and so is the meringue..(I think there's something wrong with my sweet tastebuds)! Strange..one cake but everyone of us has different opinions! 


12 comments:

Unknown on August 1, 2010 at 6:51 PM said...

Let me first say I love how you decorated the cake with meringue. Looks so beautiful.
I can totally related to your taste buds ;-)and I do love sour lemon curd a lot.
I find that getting a right ratio of sour and sweet is really hard for me.

I just keep staring at it, love the whole look, really so pretty.

cocoa and coconut on August 1, 2010 at 7:30 PM said...

So professional and beautifully done as always. Lemon and meringue is such a perfect combination

Pei-Lin on August 1, 2010 at 8:22 PM said...

Faithy, FINALLY, an update from you and a Heavenly Cake! How's your iPad? LOL!

Yea, I saw the two lemony cake recipes in the book. I myself love anything lemony, even better either with rosemary or meringue/marshmallow. (Weird?)

But then, I agree that what constitutes good and bad are subjected to personal preferences. What's happened within your family regarding the cake also happens to my bakes and dishes, too, among my own folks. Sometimes, even when I find myself not too happy with what I've made, my folks love it. What the heck! LOL! I'm gagged. LOL! So, I always console myself by thinking that it's not that I can't cook/bake, it's just that what I've made doesn't suit my family's palates. *Sigh* If not, I don't think I can even survive all the bashing for this long. LOL!

ann low on August 1, 2010 at 10:26 PM said...

I think this is a lovely cake. I would like to make this too!

Monica on August 1, 2010 at 11:53 PM said...

I love how it turned out... I will be doing mine today (I started late - decided to go to the beach yesterday!)... and I'm halfing the whole thing to make a 6x3 cake instead of the 9x2 that it calls for...

So wish me luck!

Mendy on August 2, 2010 at 4:16 AM said...

ב''ה

I love that you did several layers and the piping is such a nice touch.

Tracy on August 2, 2010 at 8:51 PM said...

What a beautiful-looking cake! I LOVE lemon curd so I'm sure I would love the taste as well!

Jenn on August 3, 2010 at 3:40 AM said...

Faithy, you're not alone as you said. This cake is too sweet for me. And I reduce the sugar in the lemon curd by 30% and the sugar in the syrup by 50%. Next time I'll try to reduce the sugar more.

Your cake is very pretty! I love that you pipe it.

maameemoomoo on August 4, 2010 at 3:26 PM said...

omg faithy, i was just thinking about lemon meringue pie 2 days ago because i've so many egg whites!

Did u use blowtorch to brown the meringue? Or just chucked it into the oven?

faithy on August 4, 2010 at 3:32 PM said...

Thank you all!

@maameemoomoo: i chuck into the oven.. but others used blow torch without any problem. I am afraid of blow torch more than the oven..lol! I'm afraid i'll torch my long hair accidentally..lol!

Alpha Baker Joan on August 6, 2010 at 8:13 AM said...

This is absolutely the prettiest one! I will copy it if you don't mind, when I remake it. I love this cake myself and the curd is just tart enough for me, so I was in a happy mood about all of it.

faithy on August 6, 2010 at 9:12 AM said...

Thanks Joan! Sure, no problem..go ahead and copy! :D

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template