Tuesday, August 4, 2015

BB: Beer Bread

This is a very easy bread to make.  


I wasn't sure what beer to use and had discussion with Jeniffer and Catherine on Facebook as to what type of beer to use.  Finally I decided to use this Kilkenny Irish Beer which my husband said is half-light-half dark (?.. how to describe it correctly? I am not a beer drinker..)  The left over beer I pour into a glass for my husband to drink. I sipped a bit..(otherwise hives will pay a visit soon) and I find this beer quite mild and not too bitter.  



Notice the KA bread flour? 
Ya.. I bought another packet..and this time it was ok..so I used it for this beer bread. 

I had extra sourdough left over so I threw it into the dough as well and mixed together. :p
After mixing and leave to proof


I baked into 2 small boules.



Quite a flavorful and nice bread. Easy to make too. Except somehow I can still taste the beer. There is a slight bitter after-taste of the beer when I eat the bread. Maybe I always eat bread on its own without any butter or jam..so the flavor was more pronounced?  My husband ate some and said it was good. He said the slight beer taste is not really noticeable.  

I need to learn to eat bread with cheese, butter, jam etc.. and not as a snack like I always do.  Actually, I have a very bad habit .. I like to eat the crust of the bread and not in the inside of the bread. :P  Now that I bake my own bread, I force myself to eat everything. Otherwise, I will be eating only the crust and throwing away the insides. I prefer crusty part more...more chewy and crunchy.  That's why I say I like crunchy apples.. crunchy unripe persimmons, crunchy peach, crunchy pears... you get the idea... 







8 comments:

Unknown on August 4, 2015 at 10:10 AM said...

These look so good!! The texture/crumb looks light and fluffy. I love the crust too… best bit of the bread :) My dough is in fridge… I should get to the baking bit now. ---- Jeniffer

Vicki on August 4, 2015 at 12:45 PM said...

Look how nice the texture and crumb is! Maybe you can taste the beer since you are sensitive and break out in hives. I can't tolerate beer either and it tastes so strong to me when other people think it's mild.

Angie's Recipes on August 4, 2015 at 4:17 PM said...

They look great, both crust and crumb. Great job, Faithy.

Rachel on August 5, 2015 at 3:51 AM said...

Beautiful bread!

Unknown on August 7, 2015 at 9:21 PM said...

Faithy, I had to laugh when you said that you force yourself to eat all the parts of the bread. Gosh. I have to force myself to stop eating everything! It was a great idea to make two boules rather than one big boule. I should have done exactly the same thing. They came out beautifully.

SweetThingsTO on August 12, 2015 at 8:53 PM said...

Beautiful boules! I'm with you - I like them crusty!

Unknown on August 16, 2015 at 12:14 PM said...

This bread looks great. I was surprised when I saw the crumb but I think it must be the sourdough which helped it. The sourdough might accentuate the beer flavour, maybe? I'm looking forward to making mine now I see how good yours looks.

Anonymous said...

Faithy, these are wonderful! I think it was my mom that told me there is an Italian term for those who prefer the crust and those who prefer the insides :)

I'm with you - not a beer drinker so this bread had me and mom a little lost on what to do.

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template