Saturday, November 7, 2009

Devil's Food Cake w/ Chocolate Mousse Buttercream & Chocolate Fudge Icing




Absolutely yummy! Devil's Food Cake & Chocolate Mousse Buttercream taken from Jill O' Conner's Sticky Chewy Messy Gooey. The cake batter is a bit tricky esp. when adding the cake flour as flour pockets might develop, so have to fold it really well. But it is the most delicious, moist & soft chocolate cake ever. Live up to it's name as Devil's Food Cake. Jill's Chocolate Mousse Buttercream compliments well with the cake and i like the fact that it is also relatively stable in this our hot weather. I was afraid that frosting the entire cake with the chocolate mousse buttercream will be too much and personally i prefer the cake to be covered with chocolate fudge icing.

I found a fudge icing recipe from Nigella Lawson but it didn't turned out quite what i expected and almost wanted to throw the entire frosting away. However, i was adamant to get it right and experimented further by adding a few ingredients on my own and finally managed to create the chocolate fudge icing that i wanted in terms of taste & consistency. I'm in love with this fudge frosting - it sets so well! But I am not too sure if i can repeat the same frosting though..lol!..i can't recall exactly what i added..:p

As for decoration, it was a last min thing and totally effortless..i couldn't stand seeing the cake un-decorated, so i just add a few butterflies and some flowers..not fantastic deco but i guess better than nothing..lol!

14 comments:

Unknown on November 8, 2009 at 12:35 AM said...

Lovely looking cake. The pink decorations are very pretty. I'd be interested to know which Nigella recipe you used so I can avoid making the same mistake myself.

Jenn on November 8, 2009 at 12:47 AM said...

Faithy - what a beautiful cake. I lovce the contrast of little pink flowers and the white butterflies against the dark. You made putting together the different recipes and making the cake sound so easy and effortless!

Mendy on November 8, 2009 at 8:04 PM said...

ב''ה

Looks nice.

faithy on November 8, 2009 at 8:17 PM said...

@Sarah, @Jenn & @Mendy: Thanks for your kind words!

@Sarah, here is the recipe for Nigella's fudge cake recipe: http://www.ivillage.co.uk/food/whoscooking/articles/0,10103,165631_176880-2,00.html
I think her icing was too sweet and tasted more buttery than chocolaty. That's why i added a lot more chocolate in order to rid the butter taste and the sweet icing sugar.

@Jenn, not true, wait till you read my upcoming post on woody's lemon cake..gosh..hahaha..my cake ended looking like something else..and not like cake..hahahaha..

Shoshana on November 8, 2009 at 10:13 PM said...

I love the butterflies with the fudge icing.
It is beautiful.

faithy on November 8, 2009 at 11:37 PM said...

Thanks Shoshana! :)

Raychel on November 9, 2009 at 1:22 AM said...

Very Pretty : )

Raychel - MyCreativeWay.blogspot.com

Vicki on November 10, 2009 at 12:07 PM said...

Quite a lovely cake, very delicate decorations. It looks so yummy. I wish you could remember the recipe!

Tracy on November 10, 2009 at 9:47 PM said...

Oh wow, these do look heavenly!!

faithy on November 11, 2009 at 9:38 AM said...

Thanks Raychel, Vicki & Tracy for your kind words!

Anonymous said...

I would love to receive copies of the recipes that you used for this cake. It looks absolutely lerapen (as my grandmother would say)!

faithy on November 12, 2009 at 11:44 AM said...

@Stephanie: I'll try to type out the recipe when i have time. :) I have very limited time at home on the computer as my kids are always using it, but i'll do my best.

Cathie on November 22, 2009 at 6:54 AM said...

effortless or not, that looks very spectacular!
must have tasted fantastic aswell.

faithy on November 22, 2009 at 9:30 AM said...

Thanks Cathie! :)

 

diary of Faithy, the baker Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template